Comparison of Scrum and Extreme Programming

  • U.Buddhini Wackista-aratchie
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2005
      Hi All,

      Can anyone please tell me the comparison of Scrum and Extreme Programming? I want to compare both the processes.

      Thanks.

      Best Regards,
      Buddhini.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2005
        On Monday, September 19, 2005, at 11:43:51 PM, U.Buddhini Wackista-aratchie wrote:

        > Can anyone please tell me the comparison of Scrum and Extreme
        > Programming? I want to compare both the processes.

        I'd suggest studying both in detail. Enlightenment about Agile
        software development does not come from sound bites, but from
        careful study and, ultimately, assiduous practice.

        In brief, XP explicitly includes software engineering practices, and
        Scrum does not. In practice, if you fuzz your eyes right, Scrum and
        XP planning are quite similar. The processes are compatible in the
        sense that adding XP-style practices to Scrum is so natural that
        some Scrum principals say the practices have been in there all the
        time.

        Perhaps this Silver Bullet will tell you who I am ...
      • Keith
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 23, 2005
          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "U.Buddhini
          Wackista-aratchie" <sai_ubw@y...> wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > Can anyone please tell me the comparison of Scrum and Extreme
          Programming? I want to compare both the processes.

          > Thanks.
          >
          > Best Regards,
          > Buddhini.

          Well to add to what Ron has said below, I'd say that scrum is more
          concerned with project management and is fairly agnostic about the
          engineering processes.

          XP is more focused, or perhaps I should say people who look into XP
          are more focused, on the engineering practices without as much
          concentration on the project management aspect. That's not to say XP
          doesn't manage project, but their PM styles are different enough to
          merit study.

          Did you have a specific question?

          thanks,