Re: [scrumdevelopment] Certified ScrumMaster

  • Hal Macomber
    Message 1 of 113 , Mar 2, 2003

      Thought you would be interested in what we are doing for lean project delivery.  Greg Howell and I offer an 8-month porgram for developing the competence to deliver projects on a lean basis.  12 people will finish the program at the end of March.  Another 12 people started the program in February.

      I don't know where to start to describe what we are doing.  We are not 'certifying' participants per se.  Nor are we testing them on a defined body of knowledge.  Our focus is on having participants develop a perpective and set of practices for providing leadership on lean projects.  We are using the approach of teaching the reflective practitioner (Donald Schon).  This is the approach used in architectural schools.

      We are working in three areas simultaneously:

      1. Subject matter expertise
      2. Leadership
      3. Coaching

      Participants are involved in leading projects while they are in the program.  They get coaching from another participant.  They provide coaching to a participant.  They also participate in a study-action team for reading texts.

      We meet for two days every fourth week.  Greg and I deliver short lectures.  We wrote a handful of primers.  And the participants prepare their own lectures and cases.  'Graduation' entails getting on a path to mastery and presenting a 4 page paper on a relevant topic.

      We have people from construction, defense contracting, architecture, and Headstart.

      If you continue down the path of certified scrummaster I urge you to read Schon's books on the reflective practitioner.  We don't know of another successful way to teach leadership.

      Hal

       Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 4:31:18 PM, Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...> wrote:

      > I had a long conversation with Martin Fowler about this and he
      > suggested that we launch the idea of the "Certified ScrumMaster."
      > This is someone who really knows Scrum, getting it both emotionally
      > and intellectually, through reading, thinking and - most important -
      > experience. When we hear of a bad implementation, we can ask, "did
      > they use a Certified ScrumMaster?" Or, when someone wants to get
      > going, we can recommend a Certified ScrumMaster to them.

      > I'm considering implementing such a program to do what I can about
      > ensuring the consistency and quality of Scrum. I'm early in thinking
      > about this and want to solicit your comments and conversation
      > regarding whether to do this (I'm pretty set on it at this point, but
      > could be swayed) and how to do it (suggestions are welcome).

      Very thought-provoking, Ken. I cross-posted it to the xp leadership group.

      Talent determines how fast you get good, not how good you get.  -- Richard Gabriel

      Subscribe to Reforming Project Management
      Enter your email address:

      Don't miss a posting! Forward to a friend.
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 113 of 113 , Mar 10, 2003
        Ron:

        Sorry for the pun intended, the proper name is
        "burndown chart" as Mike stated, not "burnout chart",
        but that all depends how you feel as you come down
        from the "mountain of hours and features" ;-)

        - Mike

        --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Ron--
        I think Mike is referring to a "burndown" rather than
        "burnout" chart.
        Although I'd like to try graphing how burnt out I feel
        at the end of each
        day.
        An example burndown chart is
        http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/scrum/sprintbacklog.html.
        Scroll down a
        bit and you'll see it bordered in the green.

        -Mike