RE: [scrumdevelopment] Certified ScrumMaster

  • David J. Anderson
    Message 1 of 113 , Mar 2, 2003
      I believe that this is the definition of an
      apprenticeship.

      When you learn from a master through following,
      watching and doing, you are an apprentice.

      Scaling certification in this way is slower than
      pushing thousands of people through an exam but it
      reflects the nature of the beast - it is a craft.

      Most craft scales have several levels e.g.

      Novice - has taken a course and is knowledgeable of
      the nomenclature
      Apprentice - someone who is under the training of a
      master
      Journeyman - someone who is time-served under a master
      and is qualified to practice unsupervised.
      Master - someone who is already a journeyman and who
      is capable of teaching the craft (i.e. someone who not
      only knows what to do but understands why it works)
      Expert - someone who extends the state-of-the-art a
      master's master

      If you take the Theory of Constraints as an example,
      there are two qualifications "Jonah" and "Jonah's
      Jonah". A Jonah can teach TOC - he is a master. A
      Jonah's Jonah can teach and accredit Jonah's - he is
      an expert.

      The Jonah accreditation is given after an intensive
      3-week workshop.

      The TOC approach may not be for Scrum but I rather
      feel that this is a solved problem and Ken would do
      well to look at how other crafts have achieved this
      form of professional quality control.

      Regards,
      David
      --
      David J. Anderson
      http://www.uidesign.net/

      ---------------------------------
      Hi Ron,

      Agree with the worry. Linda in her post hits the nail
      on the head: it
      should not be a "satisfy these ten things" kind of
      certification. Which
      brings on the idea of a master thesis: you have to
      bring proof of a
      successful project in order to become certified. Proof
      could be a
      positive advise from other certified masters. While I
      worked for GE they
      adopted such a system for implementing 6 sigma in the
      organisation. They
      trained an initial group of people, made them run a
      number of projects
      and called them 'blackbelts'. A blackbelt could then
      train the next wave
      of people.

      --Hubert

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 113 of 113 , Mar 10, 2003
        Ron:

        Sorry for the pun intended, the proper name is
        "burndown chart" as Mike stated, not "burnout chart",
        but that all depends how you feel as you come down
        from the "mountain of hours and features" ;-)

        - Mike

        --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Ron--
        I think Mike is referring to a "burndown" rather than
        "burnout" chart.
        Although I'd like to try graphing how burnt out I feel
        at the end of each
        day.
        An example burndown chart is
        http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/scrum/sprintbacklog.html.
        Scroll down a
        bit and you'll see it bordered in the green.

        -Mike