RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: WIP

  • Mike Dwyer
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 4, 2005
      Thanks for the cite Jeff. Question.

      How do people handle 'windows of opportunity'? Since we are living in a
      world where a product, feature or function can go from innovative to
      commodity in a matter of months, how do you factor in the time it takes you
      to get to market and the time you have in the market before you are copied
      or superceded.

      This pushes the revenue argument to the next level stating that a long ROI
      may in fact be counter productive.

      Michael F. Dwyer

      "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a
      solution may emerge."

      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 6, 2005
        In my work (and my book) I modeled it as investment. The thinking it
        up can be time-boxed or controlled in some manner. Answer the
        question...

        How much are willing to invest in our next innovative idea?

        This is usually constrained in most companies by the funding for the
        marketing department. One of the challenges is that often cost
        accounting prevents technical people from engaging at an early
        enough stage to improve the quality of the ideas.

        David

        <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
        > On Tuesday, August 30, 2005, at 1:15:06 PM, David J Anderson wrote:
        >
        > > To my mind, it is clearly not WIP unless it has been started,
        and
        > > that ought to involve a commitment back to the customer
        detailing
        > > when it will be delivered. In manufacturing terms a "due date".
        >
        > > Simply identifying it for the backlog does not count as starting.
        >
        > > The fact that the customer has dreamt it up and considers it
        part of
        > > their value stream is not justification for it becoming WIP. To
        use
        > > the manufacturing term, you could consider it "stock" i.e. it is
        in
        > > inventory, but it isn't WIP until a commitment is made and
        resources
        > > are assigned to work on it.
        >
        > Suppose that thinking it up was costly. Would we still not list it
        > as WIP? I think we would. Perhaps WIP is supposed to be measured in
        > dollars or time, not number of items?
        >
        > Ron Jeffries
        > www.XProgramming.com
        > Example isn't another way to teach, it is the only way to teach.
        > --Albert Einstein
      • David J Anderson
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 6, 2005
          Dollar Days is all about amplication. It's about improving signal to
          noise ratio in management accounting. From the perspective of this
          thread, it is largely irrelevant. We're deciding where to start the
          WIP measurement and the lead time measurement.

          David

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Clarke Ching" <lists@c...>
          wrote:
          > Ron wrote:
          > >Perhaps WIP is supposed to be measured in dollars or time, not
          number of
          > items?
          >
          > Goldratt recommends using "Dollar-days" to measure WIP in factories -
          thus
          > taking into account both time and dollars. I've posted a note below
          > describing Dollar-Days, which I originally sent to Kent Beck's
          Software in