RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: FW: RE:How imiportant is a ScrumMaster?

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2005

      Joseph,

      Great observations… yes, it is a “fine tuned balance”.  My fear is that if we call the SM

      “a leader”, (s)he then will be the “team leader”… and the rest of the team members

      will follow him/her.  That’s not quite what we do in Scrum (as you pointed out).

      I tend to follow more the “SM as insurance philosophy”…  but this is also an extreme position.

      Enforcing the Scrum process is implemented (to the degree possible), are activities

      that the SM should always do, things like:

      ·         Schedule and ensure correct activities at the Scrum Planning Meetings

      ·         Schedule and ensure correct activities at the Scrum Review Meetings

      ·         Schedule and ensure correct activities at any Reprioritization Meetings

      ·         Schedule and ensure correct activities at the Scrum Meetings

      ·         Etc.

      Also, mandatory, imo is the “resolution of issues for team” --- that’s always the work

      for the ScrumMaster.

      However, imo, the ScrumMaster should only intervene with the team whenever needed:

      ·         On resolution of technical issues… (specially if politics or social issues involved)

      ·         On poor communications, (s)he should appropriately facilitate communications

      ·         ON poor cooperation (s)he should appropriately facilitate cooperation

      ·         Etc.

      So, yes it is not as easy as “insurance”… but at least it is on the other side of

      “command and control” J

      - Mike