Re: Book on Beta Testing in Scrum Environment

  • Bill McMichael
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 26, 2005
      I've read this book. It's viewpoint is more from a traditional or
      waterfall development method. So, I don't think you will get much
      insight from this text specifically on "beta" when doing iterative
      development. I've done betas with Scrum -- much like described below
      by 'Sellers.' If you really are producing potentially shippable code
      each sprint (along with end user documentation), then there is not
      much overhead for your development organization. We have used 2 week
      ' beta release sprints' for cleanup. In other cases, it was only a
      couple of days. With regards to getting customer feedback, we invite
      them to our sprint reviews and have held WebEx's on the Sprint Review
      date. This is more immediate and fits in better with Scrum. As far
      as using beta for installation and compatibility testing, I would
      expect your beta process wouldn't differ here with agile. The
      diference would be that 'beta' will not include all features in the
      release, but the quality should be much higher. You'll need to make a
      decision when it is best to provide software to your beta customers.
      If you are using beta for marketing purposes or as release
      preparedness for your customer support staff, then this will also
      require those organizations to get more involved earlier then they are
      accustomed as they will have to prepare their training, etc..
      iteratively.

      Bill

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dwyer"
      <mike.dwyer1@c...> wrote:
      > OHHHHHHHH. Got it now. Will read the book, but for the time being
      you are
      > talking about BETA testing within the context I am familiar with.
      I was
      > thinking there was a formal 'practice' named BETA. (Well there is
      but -
      > never mind I am deconfused except for my fingers who are old, fat
      and lazy)

      > Michael F. Dwyer
      >

      > "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to
      where a
      > solution may emerge."
      >
      > "A Plan is a complex situation, adapting to an emerging solution."

      Environment

      > Michael,
      >

      > Check out this book on Amazon. The table of contents will give you
      > starting point for understanding BETA testing. BETA testing is
      using a
      > small set of customers to find defects in your product, before
      general
      > release. BETA testing should compliment/supplement functionality,
      usability
      > and compatibility testing. Your customers deserve a product that
      has
      > removed most of the defects that can be found in your development
      > environment.
      >

      > Note, I have not read the book - most of my experience with BETAs is
      either
      > participating in as either as BETA tester or part of the development
      team.

      > -Sellers

      ref=sib_rdr_dp/103-2393213
      > -7079834?%5Fencoding=UTF8&no=283155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=books

      BETAs on
      > the other project.
      >

      > We treat the BETAs as much like a production release as possible -
      e.g.,
      > staging, testing, launching, support. The Operations team supports
      the
      > product, product management/marketing talks with the BETA customer
      about
      > likes/dislikes. We have list servs for the BETA users to converse
      and get
      > support. Meantime, the development team is working on the
      iteration. We
      > allow product development to insert features/defects during an
      iteration.
      > Features and defects can flow in from BETA, just like features from
      the
      > backlog and defects from testing. We even deploy one or two
      upgrades during
      > the BETA.
      >

      > We have shorter iterations that the traditional (?) one month SCRUM
      -
      > usually 1-2 weeks with continuous integration within the
      sub-systems. What
      > happens for BETA/Launch is that there is an iteration focused on
      launch -
      > e.g., configuration, code promotion, validation of production
      environment,
      > emergency fixes.
      >

      > In short, BETA looks as much like a launch as possible and we have
      an
      > pre-launch iteration that contains launch activities vs. development
      > activities (e.g., new feature development, integration, general
      defect
      > fixes).
      >

      > -Sellers

      I'm in
      > the process of figuring out how to fit the Beta process into this
      model.

      > Our applications are largely network based, productivity apps for
      small to
      > medium sized businesses. (FTP Client/Server, Email Server, Network
      > Monitoring) We have traditionally used the Beta process to
      functionally test
      > the application in a wide variety of environments, but also to get
      some
      > feedback on design and usability. Now we are struggling with "when"
      and
      > "how" to faccilitate a productive Beta in the midst of Scrum.
      >
      > Thoughts or ideas?
      > Thanks!
      > Jason

      > Scrum