FW: RE:basic question on Scrum

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2005

      Ron Jeffries wrote:

      >Well put. Let me underline your response. It saves me trying to come

      >up with one of my own to the same point: I'm sure you've done a

      >better job than I would have. Thanks!

      [I’ll play devil’s advocate… ]

      All,

      We also have to accept the fact that in software development we simply

      strayed from “common sense” a long time ago…. so much in fact, that it

      now may be “rare sense”, as Tobias called it.

      Just ask a housewife…  or a carpenter… or an electrician or a plumber,

      or… ask a single software developer, how they actually work.. interview them,

      even play anthropologist and observe them.

      (But no, please don’t ask an “educated” software development manager…

      He will tell you his team needs a methodology ………..)

      Anyone that ever did something that involved people and more than one tasks

      used what I would cal the “basic common sense method”, for lack of a

      better term (this is not calling someone “stupid”.. it is calling them

      “average human beings”):

            Make a list of things to do  (clean the house, buy groceries,

        prepare the turkey, bake the cake, etc.)

      Work in an environment where you can communicate easily (all in one room

        often works)

            Prioritize the list in as much as you can

              (we need to start the night before by putting the turkey in water…)

            If you have many people helping, let people volunteer to do things

          (or if they don’t give some tasks to each person helping)

         (Sarah said:  “I’ll clean the celery”..Mike, “you are not helping,

         Can you run to the store and buy 5 onions and a sack of potatoes, please?”)

            Routinely check on how people are doing (do all of these:

        test their stuff  (… Grandma tastes the gravy

              get a verbal report (“how are you doing with chopping the onions?...”)

        see how the “whole thing” is coming together  (“I got 2 things in the oven,

          2 in saucers, and I am just finishing the ‘icing on the cake’ …”

              keep a list of issues or problems that people may be running into:

                “we ran out of butter….”

            Mark things done as the people finish things and let others know

              where the project stands:

                  got the groceris

                  put the turkey in water

                  clean the celery, etc.

            Once you accomplish something bigger that feels “complete”,

        start doing other bigger things…

            We are done with preparing the turkey.. and the gravy

            We are done with the cake

            Now we can start preparing the appetizers…

            In all of these process talk to the customer and see how they

        feel about what’s going on

            Celebrate your success… it is time for the party!

      Listen, if my Grandmother had enough “common sense” to organize a family party

      with his grandsons as helpers, sure enough software developers can organize

      a “software party” and write some software together….

      Is it “common sense” or “rare sense”…….??   I don’t really know.

      But it seems that everyone that accomplishes just about anything..…

      more or less works in a Scrum-like process…  (They perhaps don’t hold the 15 min.

      Meetings, or the planning meetings… but it is very Scrum-like.)

      I have ran into at least 5 places that used the “common sense” approach above

      to develop software … that *easily accepted* Scrum because it was

      already pretty much what they were doing (without the meetings).

      - Mike

      Michael A. Beedle Ph. D.

      CEO

      New Governance Inc.