Re: [scrumdevelopment] Certified ScrumMaster

  • Marco Abis
    Message 1 of 113 , Mar 2, 2003
      Hi everybody,

      generally speaking I don't find certification too much significative because they simply mean the certified person theoretically knows something. They are of course usefull for tech related knowledge (I mean: how to administer a database, how to implement a distributed environment et similia) but I don't really think an "agile certification" obtained in the common way would help.

      Why? Because certifing a person knows all the practices of an agile approach doesn't mean he's learnt/shared the underlying principles and valors and these make the real difference.

      Given that:

      Comples Behavior = Simple Rules + Rich Relationships (Highsmith, 2000)

      a certification obtained in the common way would just mean the certified person knows that simple rules but I think we all agree on the fact that what makes agile approaches successful is far more than simple practices.

      Everybody can learn a couple of steps to follow but without an understanding of the underlying principles it is impossible to face the emergence and uncertainty.

      I think what could be useful is a way to "certify that a person has a deep understanding of the underlying principles + practices".

      Ron wrote:

      "But there are projects going pretty well that started with no "Certified XP Master" involved"

      and this is, in my opinion, a demonstration of what I wrote above: these projects have people with an understanding of the principles behind the practices and can face the complexity of the project also without a previous experience of the practices.

      Just my 2 cents :)

      Marco Abis - CEO & Chairman
      Agility SPI: Software Process Improvement
      abis@... - abis@...
      http://agilemovement.it
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 113 of 113 , Mar 10, 2003
        Ron:

        Sorry for the pun intended, the proper name is
        "burndown chart" as Mike stated, not "burnout chart",
        but that all depends how you feel as you come down
        from the "mountain of hours and features" ;-)

        - Mike

        --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Ron--
        I think Mike is referring to a "burndown" rather than
        "burnout" chart.
        Although I'd like to try graphing how burnt out I feel
        at the end of each
        day.
        An example burndown chart is
        http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/scrum/sprintbacklog.html.
        Scroll down a
        bit and you'll see it bordered in the green.

        -Mike