Re: [scrumdevelopment] Certified ScrumMaster

    Message 1 of 113 , Mar 2, 2003
      On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 4:31:18 PM, Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...> wrote:

      > I talked with Mark Paulk, one of the authors of CMM. He is pleased
      > with his efforts, but discouraged at what CMM has turned into. His
      > estimate is that over 2/3 of all CMM implementations are "trash."
      > These are implementations that focused on getting certified, not
      > improving the software process. Cnsultants did it to make money even
      > though they really didn't know what they were doing.

      > I'm considering implementing such a program to do what I can about
      > ensuring the consistency and quality of Scrum. I'm early in thinking
      > about this and want to solicit your comments and conversation
      > regarding whether to do this (I'm pretty set on it at this point, but
      > could be swayed) and how to do it (suggestions are welcome).

      The two paragraphs above, in juxtaposition, raise one of the important
      questions. No one gets a high level CMM assessment unless an SEI-approved
      auditor says so. Their own authorized "Certified CMM Masters" have
      produced processes that are 2/3 trash.

      Now I agree that experience is so valuable that I'm often tempted to
      say that no XP project can do without an experienced coach. That used to be
      my position. But there are projects going pretty well that started with no
      "Certified XP Master" involved, and I'd bet the same is true for Scrum.

      And there are coached XP projects that have gone off the rails. Has that
      every happened for Scrum?

      I suspect that the presence of a Certified Master is not a guarantee of
      success, nor is the absence a guarantee of failure. What then?

    • Mike Beedle
      Message 113 of 113 , Mar 10, 2003
        Ron:

        Sorry for the pun intended, the proper name is
        "burndown chart" as Mike stated, not "burnout chart",
        but that all depends how you feel as you come down
        from the "mountain of hours and features" ;-)

        - Mike

        --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Ron--
        I think Mike is referring to a "burndown" rather than
        "burnout" chart.
        Although I'd like to try graphing how burnt out I feel
        at the end of each
        day.
        An example burndown chart is
        http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/scrum/sprintbacklog.html.
        Scroll down a
        bit and you'll see it bordered in the green.

        -Mike