Certified ScrumMaster

  • Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@verizon.net>
    Message 1 of 113 , Mar 1 1:31 PM
      Over the last year, I've seen more and more bad Scrum implementations
      (do we really need daily Scrums? why can't I tell the people what to
      do during the Sprint?). I've also seen and heard about even worse
      implementations (or claimed use of) XP. Although we've made every
      attempt to help people understand Scrum and XP with our books,
      websites, talks, and articles, we're still coming up short.

      I talked with Mark Paulk, one of the authors of CMM. He is pleased
      with his efforts, but discouraged at what CMM has turned into. His
      estimate is that over 2/3 of all CMM implementations are "trash."
      These are implementations that focused on getting certified, not
      improving the software process. Cnsultants did it to make money even
      though they really didn't know what they were doing.

      Scrum isn't something that is intellectually apprehended. As Mike and
      I wrote in our book, it has to be experienced, with management
      becoming facilitators, telling the teams what to do. And the teams
      owning the entire development iteration, the how to do it. Yet this
      has tremendous trouble getting across. And it's getting worse, both
      as we move from early adopters to the mainstream, and as more people
      start to scale Scrum and XP. I think people mistake iterative
      development for agile development and let it go at that.

      I had a long conversation with Martin Fowler about this and he
      suggested that we launch the idea of the "Certified ScrumMaster."
      This is someone who really knows Scrum, getting it both emotionally
      and intellectually, through reading, thinking and - most important -
      experience. When we hear of a bad implementation, we can ask, "did
      they use a Certified ScrumMaster?" Or, when someone wants to get
      going, we can recommend a Certified ScrumMaster to them.

      I'm considering implementing such a program to do what I can about
      ensuring the consistency and quality of Scrum. I'm early in thinking
      about this and want to solicit your comments and conversation
      regarding whether to do this (I'm pretty set on it at this point, but
      could be swayed) and how to do it (suggestions are welcome).

      Thanks for the help!

      Ken
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 113 of 113 , Mar 10 2:47 PM
        Ron:

        Sorry for the pun intended, the proper name is
        "burndown chart" as Mike stated, not "burnout chart",
        but that all depends how you feel as you come down
        from the "mountain of hours and features" ;-)

        - Mike

        --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Ron--
        I think Mike is referring to a "burndown" rather than
        "burnout" chart.
        Although I'd like to try graphing how burnt out I feel
        at the end of each
        day.
        An example burndown chart is
        http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/scrum/sprintbacklog.html.
        Scroll down a
        bit and you'll see it bordered in the green.

        -Mike