RE: [scrumdevelopment] "Good leaders have great vision" - Tobias Mayer

  • Schiel James - SHS Malvern
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
      No, don't worry, Paul -- you were clear.

      My point was simply that there are different style of leadership that can be used at different times (thus, the concept that these styles are situational in nature).  Sometimes leading from the front (or within) is the appropriate move. Sometimes, in the case of a high performing team, there's considerable resentment created when the leader leads from within.

      Espousing servant-leadership as your only way to lead (or worse, doing so because the "big boss" method didn't work) is most certainly a knee-jerk reaction that will lead to trouble. Diagnosing the current condition of your team, however, and modifying your style to one that best fits their current condition, however, is solid leadership.

      Jim