Re: [scrumdevelopment] Daily Status Logs (p-logs)

  • Hal Macomber
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2003

      I have not used a p-log.  I have designed and implemented many Lotus Notes-based tools for a variety of project situations that were quite similar.  The main difference was Notes is a document-based approach while blogs are multiple postings in a single file.  (Sure, Notes is more robust all around.)

      It's been about 6 years since I used a Notes database for projects.  The last one we designed was for the World Bank.  It was quite sophisticated.  We ran background agents to troll documents looking for changes in project states.  The agents would create email alerts based on subscription profiles.  The database was implemented so that people around the world were updating and accessing project information.

      I've looked at the Traction approach, but not enough to evaluate it.

      We've been (re)creating the same solutions for years.  What I like about weblogs vs. Groove, Notes, or perhaps Traction, is the ease at which teams can set-up an environment that supports their activity without interference from the IT staff or Corporate.  (I know Groove is also easy, but there's something about using blogging tools that are attractive.)

      I will do an experiment (or two) with p-logs this year.  I have been working on a template design that could be used by any of the major blogging tools.  I will invite readers of my weblog to try it out.

      Hal
      http://weblog.halmacomber.com/

      Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 22:12:10 -0500
      From: Ron Jeffries
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 249

      On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 9:07:47 PM, Hal Macomber wrote:

      > I am quite interested in daily status blogs. I've been talking up p-logs among my
      > colleagues for awhile. John Udell's article of a few years back got me interested. There
      > are four things a p-log needs to do: (IMO)

      Have you tried this, or talked to people who have?

      If not now, when? -- The Talmud

      Subscribe to Reforming Project Management
      Enter your email address:

      Don't miss a posting! Forward to a friend.