Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile and Software Factories

  • Jeff Sutherland
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
      I have worked closely with Jack Greenfield who wrote the Microsoft book on software factories. It is one of the features of the Microsoft Business Framework (I'm on the MBF Advisory Council). It is really applying patterns to software development and automating a lot of the work.

      My main interest in working with Jack was sucking the entire HL7 clinical information model into MBF and autogenerating web services to integrate health record systems. There is a small project going on within Microsoft and their business partners to automate this. The first thing we discovered was the HL7 standards need to be upgraded to support a Service Oriented Architecture environment. I am working with the HL7 Services SIG to develop standards in this area.

      The MBF will be Microsoft's version of their next generation software development environment in Visual Studio. Can't say more than this as I am under non-disclosure. Suffice to say, the first Scrum was developing a tool environment that was an early prototype of what Microsoft is trying to do which is one of the reasons I am on their advisory committee.

      The first Scrum tooling environment was a major driver within the Object Management Group to develop a Business Object Architecture in 1994, the year before XP was formalized by Kent Beck. In 2000, the CEO of the OMG called me up and said, "Jeff, you've got to come to our next meeting. We are launching what you started in 1994 and will call it Model Driven Architecture."

      The Software Factory approach is a Microsoft response to the OMG MDA. So you could say Scrum was a one of the root causes of its formation. While it is still in the early stages and will only seep into Visual Studio over many years, it will eventually more than double the productivity of a Scrum team through automation. This is what Object Studio did for Smalltalk developers when it was created by the early Scrum teams. In fact, we had a money back guarantee for any development team that did not double its velocity in the first month of use. (I don't recall that we ever had to give any money back.)

      Therefore, I say it is highly compatible with Scrum teams.

      Jeff Sutherland
      Certified ScrumMaster Training

      On 7/28/05, Brad Grant <bradg@...> wrote:
      I have not exercised nor been exposed to technical detail in some time.

      I am concernced with the concept of a 'Software Factory' and alignment
      or conflict with Agile methods.
      http://www.softwarefactories.com/ScreenShots/MS-WP-04.pdf

      What information, or perspective can you offer to help me better
      understand?

      Thanks
      Brad Grant
      St. Louis, CSM

      Yahoo! Groups Links

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Jeff Sutherland, Ph.D.
      Chief Technology Officer

      Certified ScrumMaster Training and Inventor of the Agile Scrum Process
      Microsoft Business Framework Advisory Council
      Object Management Group/HL7 Liaison Committee
      Co-Chair, HL7 Orders and Observations Technical Committee
      Co-Investigator, Operating Room of the Future, Univ. of Maryland Medical System
      (508) 644-8298
      jeff.sutherland@...
      ___________________________________
      KU Hospital, Dr. David Brailer, and PatientKeeper
      Featured on CNBC:
      http://www.patientkeeper.com/qt/cbs_high.html

      Brigham & Women's Hospital and PatientKeeper
      Featured on CBS News:
      http://www.patientkeeper.com/qt/cbs_high.html

      PatientKeeper Reports Record Growth:
      http://www.patientkeeper.com/pr/02_08_05.html

      Gartner's Analyst Insights on Mobile Healthcare:
      http://www.patientkeeper.com/pkgreport.html