Announcement: Agile Book Group

  • Clarke Ching
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      Are you interested in joining an online Agile Book Study Group?

      It'll work something like this:
      1.  Each calendar month we study a book that is related to Agile software development or Agile Management.  Whey I type "Study" I mean that we will discuss each book with the intention of learning from the book and from each other.
      2.  We schedule the reading list at least 1 month in advance, but probably more, giving everyone interested in participating enough time to purchase or borrow the book, then read it.
      3.  The schedule will initially be decided by me and after a few months will be decided by consensus or voting.
      4.  The books may be directly related to Agile (e.g. books by Beck, Schwaber, Highsmith), they may be closely related (e.g. books by Goldratt or Reinertson's, about Toyota, perhaps even Software engineering classics), they may even be very unagile (e.g. The beginners guide to Waterfall).
      5.  We will endeavor to self-organize.  But, I'll kick anyone out of the group who isn't respectful to others in their discussion - only two warnings will be issued.
      6.  We'll meet online via a yahoo group (see below) and maybe, if the technology permits, even meet in a conference call.
      7.  Both authors and readers are welcome.  But readers please remember the bit about respect because odds are that the Author is lurking.
      8.  We will learn and adapt as we go.

      We will start studying the first book - Mary and Tom Poppendieck's "Lean Software Development" - on September 1st.

      Clarke Ching

      p.s. I'm serious about the self organizing ... I've set this group up because I'd like to be involved in it, not because I want to run it.  Oh, and btw, my wife is due with out 2nd baby on the 20th of August, so if things run late then you may have to start with out me :)
    • Boris Gloger
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
        Great idea -- I go with you:

        ideas:

        Buckingham: The one thing you know about leadership .....
        Golemann: The naked leader
        Cockburn: Chrystal Clear
        Goldratt: The Goal

        Cheers

        Boris

        On 8/3/05, Clarke Ching <lists@...> wrote:
[...]

        Scrum

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        --
        boris gloger
        www.glogerconsulting.de
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2005
          Add  "Up the Organization" by Robert Townsend.

          --
          Mike Dwyer

          "I Keep six faithful serving-men
          Who serve me well and true:
          Their names are What and Where and When
          And How and Why and Who." - Kipling

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 14, 2005
              I'm jealous. Here's a guy with a full time job, maried, kid, next one
              on the way and he starts a reading club. Aaaarrrrrrgh, I have hardly
              time to unpack them (the books, never unpack kids if you can avoid
              it).

              Great initiative!

              --Hubert