Re: [scrumdevelopment] Computer Weekly Article - Ideal motivation for Agility

  • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28 6:34 AM
      Graeme  I like the article but believe that it brought up another impediment facing IT and software in general.

      First has IT gained enough credibility from successfully "responding to requirements formulated by the business" that it can be considered for "partnership with other functions to deliver business transformation and exploit business opportunities."

      I agree with the author's point  "That is not the case in many organisations. Too often the existing IT systems inhibit, rather than facilitate, the company's ability to change. Inflexible, monolithic systems, designed to automate long outdated manual processes and to deliver service in a world of paper rather than electronic communication, still tend to be the order of the day."

      However his solution is, in IMHO, dead wrong.  "To achieve the required level of agility, an organisation needs structures, processes and systems designed for rapid change. In particular it needs IT systems capable of changing in step with the business changes. The IT architectures, not just the individual system solutions, must be designed to facilitate flexibility and rapid business change. That can only be achieved if the IT function plays a full and active part in all stages of business planning and transformation."

      To achieve the required level of agility, an organisation needs to *deliver*, on time, to need and to make an impact on the current business situation.
      His chanting of the traditional mantra of better structures, processes and systems designed for rapid change don't cut it intoday's world.  Individuals adpating systems, processes, and structures to meet current business needs do.

      Delivery is not a standoff operation. "That can only be achieved if the IT function plays a full and active part in all stages of business planning and transformation." It is feet on the ground initimate contact with the issue and total immersion in the culture, then it is the judicious selection of structure, process, and systems that fit into the organization so they receive an optimal force mulitplier.

      Mr  Thompson is right on when he describes the need for a different skill set and possibly personality driving the IT operation.  However, one may want to ask it influence at the CxO level has more to do with contribution to meeting next years bottom line than spending this years budget.

      That being said, this article would seem to be in the correct ball park but the CIO and IT management had better understand their jobs are to drive runs across the plate, not mark X and O's on the score sheet.

      --
      Mike Dwyer

      "I Keep six faithful serving-men
      Who serve me well and true: