A Successful XBreed/Scrum Project

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2003

      Linda wrote:
      > Way to go, Mike! Congratulations!
      >
      > The more I read about complexity theory, the more I
      > seee Scrum: a few simple rules that generate complex
      > structures.
      > Exciting stuff.

      Thanks for cheering me up guys - it is nice to have
      a forum to share Scrum development experiences.

      I was told yesterday by the IDHW management
      that they had never had delivered software as
      fast and with as much quality as they had for this
      project. In the words of the Product Owner, the
      Privacy Officer here at IDHW, our project
      was "nothing short of a small miracle".

      One thing that really like about our "development
      style", is that we continuously revise the
      requirements, the design, and reprioritize the
      tasks. You see, their official development style
      here is a strict waterfall: 1) every project
      needs to write a thorough requirements document,
      2) design can't start until the requirements are
      finished, 3) coding can't start until they finish the
      design, 4) testing doesn't start until they finish
      the code, etc.

      Well, for this project, we were allowed to break the
      above waterfall rules because of the urgency of the
      situation (Hipaa Privacy compliance means huge
      liabilities: law suits, fines, and even imprisionment
      in some cases).

      Now, after they have seen what this agile stuff
      is all about, people are talking about using
      Scrum/XBreed in other projects here as well.

      We'll have to see how the battle between agility and
      bureacracy plays out,

      - Mike