RE: [scrumdevelopment] Don't Try to Sell XP

  • Alleman, Glen B.
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 14, 2003

      Linda,

      Thanks for this as well.

      We�ve got a DCAA compliant EVMS tracking and reporting system we�re integrating with �agile� methods. Mostly the obvious XP stuff (PP, UT, FT, CM) � all the back end practices. The SCRUM practices seem to be a better fit from a �formal process� point of view, so our efforts are now directed at �formalizing� our SOP for development and infrastructure around something that is not home grown.

      I�m looking for similar domain folks (DOE, DoD, etc) who have adapted legacy processes (CMM Level 4 here) along with agency orders to more agile methods. The EVMS foundation needs to stay in place and we have done that by reducing the granularity (or is it increasing) of �testable requirements� to items delivered every 2 to 3 days. By allocating the BCWS across this collection and calling it an iteration EV can be booked while remaining agile (within the scope of the iteration). This work was originally done at Raytheon but is now being syndicated at other sites here in Denver Metro.

      Any experience reports would be helpful. We�re preparing a paper for the DOE CIO conference as well as SLC Agile describing our experiences.

      Glen B. Alleman

      Director, Program Management Office

      Information Technology

      Kaiser�Hill LLC

      Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site

      10808 Highway 93, Unit B, Bldg 060, MV72

      Golden, Colorado 80502

      Office: 303.966.5865� Nextel: 303.994.0874

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 14, 2003
        Dear all,

        As many of you know I started another company,
        Hipaa Acccelerator, http://www.hipaaccelerator.com,
        about a year and a half ago, that is solely dedicated
        to solve Hipaa Privacy problems.

        Hipaa Privacy problems are intersting enterprise
        problems because they almost always require
        many projects to be managed and delivered
        concurrently. For example, Hipaa Privacy mandates
        reports of PHI (protected health information),
        and Disclosure Accounting reports, that must access
        data throughout the enterprise, and coordinate
        business processes often involving dozens of people
        for approval, escalation, investigation, delegation,
        management, routing, retrieval, etc.; for even
        a single request.

        Each client implementation needs to be deployed while
        many other things change like:

        - changes in Hipaa Privacy and State laws
        - changes in the systems to be integrated with
        - changes in business processes (policies
        and procedures), typically coming from legal
        and/or business process owners
        - etc.

        and couple with the normal changes and
        uncertainties found in every project like:

        - staff overturn and staff absorption
        - staff mentoring/training in both the business
        domain and the technology
        - changes in technology i.e. development environment
        and deployment tools and versions, etc.;
        - changes in design
        - refactoring
        - etc.

        all of which were very significat in our case. To
        make it ever more challenging, the government
        mandated deadline is 4/14/2003, requiring every
        project to be a "little miracle".

        To cope with the above uncertainty and change, we
        decided to use XBreed -- a combination of Scrum, XP,
        Open Source and Alexanderian practices for every
        client installation (More at: http://www.xbreed.net
        Yes, I know, the XBreed site needs urgent updating...
        but I am too busy in the trenches to keep it up to
        date. Besides that I don't sell software methods
        or "general software development consulting" -- I
        only sell Hipaa Privacy solutions these days :-)

        Btw, XBreed, means "cross breed" not "extreme breed",
        and it was inspired by the similar concept in genetics

        which literally means a thing with the natural
        selected genes of XP, Scrum, Alexanderian and
        Open Source.

        Today, I am glad to report that once again, Scrum,
        with the extensions that we call XBreed, has helped
        us deliver to production one of the most challenging
        projects I had ever dealt with in my 20+ years of
        experience.

        Business details:
        The project involved about 20 people, 5 which were
        developers, 3 testers, 5 system people, 3 full time
        users, 1 scrum master, 1 product owner, 2 sponsors,
        etc. It will be deployed to ~3000 thousand
        users throughout the State of Idaho.

        The application fulfills just about every requirement
        for Hipaa Privacy compliance, as well as all the
        state law preemptions for the State of Idaho.

        Technical details:
        The application is a 130-screen j2ee web-based
        application, using servlets, EJBs, JSPs, etc.; and
        works with a DB2 and SQL server. And it includes
        rule-based workflow, document management, an LDAP
        role-based security among other things.

        There is no doubt that without the power of Scrum,
        that gave us constant feedback and with that a
        fresh new "context" where to apply patterns on a
        daily basis, a constant oppportunity for
        self-organization and re-prioritization of tasks,
        and the fabric of a cooperative culture that allowed
        us to freely and constantly exchange knowledge, we
        would have never got to where we are here today.

        I am as always proud to be a Scrum practitioner; yet,
        I am still intrigued and mystified about the
        simple but powerful powers of this Scrum thing.

        How can something so simple be so powerful?

        As fascinating as the why might be, in the end
        who cares!! ... it surely works,

        - Mike

        =====
        Michael A. Beedle Ph. D.
        CEO, Hipaa Accelerator, Inc.
        2275 Half Day Rd. Suite 350
        Bannockburn, IL. 60015
        Office: 847-821-2631 Cell: 847-840-9890
        Email: beedlem@...
        Web: http://www.hipaaccelerator.com
      • Mike Cohn
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 14, 2003
          Congratulations on the successful delivery, Mike. That sounds like a great
          project!

          -Mike

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 14, 2003
            Congratulations to Mike on a job well done with his innovations in Scrum and
            the technology he built for hipaaccelerator. Since we developed Scrum
            experientially, I too am awed by how well it works. Someday we may even
            understand why.
            KEn

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 14, 2003
              Way to go, Mike! Congratulations!

              The more I read about complexity theory, the more I see Scrum: a few
              simple rules that generate complex structures. Exciting stuff.

              Linda