Re: [scrumdevelopment] Critical Chain estimating

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 44 , Jul 4, 2005
      Kevin,

      > So we removed the pressure on any individual task to be brought in "on
      > time", and we switched to estimating every task at the 50% point. That is,
      > we did our usual conservative estimates and then halved them!

      Is it actually the case that half the conservative estimate results
      in an estimate at 50% probability ?

      Cheers,

      -[Laurent]-
      - This tagline omitted for technical reasons -
      Message 44 of 44 , Jul 7, 2005
        On Wednesday, July 6, 2005, at 5:03:19 PM, Simon Baker wrote:

        > The situation you describe is indeed similar. I was both the coach
        > and acting scrummaster. My difficulty was, i couldn't escalate to
        > management because, sadly, they really didn't want to know. They had
        > bigger issues deciding on strategies and company direction. It was a
        > huge time of flux. As i intimated, in the situation a decision had
        > to be made given the bigger picture, and unfortunately i was the
        > only one inline to make it. Ultimately, scrum did fail in this
        > environment because of the politics.

        Yes. I think I should have gone above them all, to the CIO. That
        would have brought the situation to a head, one way or another.

        > As an independent coach, the biggest challenges i encounter usually
        > relate to product owners.

        That's interesting ... how about a new thread on that?

        it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca