RE: [scrumdevelopment] Digest Number 1047

  • Mary Poppendieck
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2005
      Nice Story, Ron. Make a good point.

      Mary Poppendieck
      www.poppendieck.com
      952-934-7998
      Author of: Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit
      Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 15:27:03 -0400
      From: Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>
      Subject: Re: There is no such thing as Technical Success

      There's that story about the three stonemasons. Here's a version I
      found on the Web:

      > Several years ago a friend shared with me a story of a sojourner
      > who came upon three individuals working with stone. Curious as to
      > what the workers were doing with the stones, the traveler
      > approached the first worker and asked, "What are you doing with
      > these stones?"

      > Without hesitation the worker quickly responds, "I am a stone
      > cutter and I am cutting stones." Not satisfied with this answer,
      > the traveler approached the second worker and asked, "What are you
      > doing with these stones?" The second worker paused for a moment
      > and then explained, "I am a stone cutter and I am trying to make
      > enough money to support my family."

      > Having two different answers to the same question, the sojourner
      > made his way to the third worker. The would-be philosopher asked
      > the third worker, "What are you doing with these stones?" The
      > third worker stopped what he was doing, bringing his chisel to his
      > side. Deep in thought, the worker slowly gazed toward the traveler
      > and shared, "I am a stone cutter and I am building a cathedral!

      Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. -- Picasso
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2005
        On Monday, July 4, 2005, at 6:23:40 AM, Mary Poppendieck wrote:

        > Nice Story, Ron. Make a good point.

        I'm not sure I understand, Mary. Are you saying that I did make a
        good point, or asking me to make one from the story? Drawing a point
        from the story, I said:

        > There is another way, and I think it's a valid way to live: "I am a
        > stone cutter, and I'm making these stones as well as I know how."
        >
        > I don't choose to live that way: I'm always out influencing, for
        > better or worse. But I can respect someone who just cuts stone as
        > well as he knows how.
        >
        > I suggest that we all can, and that we need to learn how to make
        > effective use of the really great stones that person can cut for us.

        It is a bad plan that admits of no modifications. -- Publius Syrus (ca. 42 BCE)