RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum as an Intelligent, Autonomous, Self-Interested, Self-Orgnizing Mutli-Agent

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2005

      Mike,

      Good points -- you have certainly taken it to the “big picture” level.

      The “shared models” are certainly a dysfunctional artifact, and we cope with that by having smaller teams,

      (or subsumption layers, if you will), shared documents and such.

      I guess both in business and in software development we are still trying to

      find ways to keep and update these shared models.

      That is the ultimate challenge for social organizations – to beat their bounded rationality,

      and to do that we must have better ways to store, share, update shared models,

      - Mike

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2005

        Presently I am dealing with exactly this problem.  We are running two week scrums that cannot have a daily face to face meeting because of timezones, geography and the fact that the product owner and their staffs are constantly in motion.

        What we have done is shift the daily update to a two phase.  First the team gets together, no managers, no scrummaster, just the ‘doers’.  They write down what they their responses to the questions 3 at the end of the day.  The next morning they get together and ‘synch’ with each other going over what they wrote, and talking it over.  Again, no one else (because they are not physically or temporally collocated.)

        One of the team or the team goes to their Manager (who has been trained in Scrum Techniques – but is not fully certifiable) and goes through the ‘questions 3’.  The manager then re-organizes the information into the business issues that he and the product owner have agreed are the drivers for the Sprint and sends this out to ‘all interested parties’.  As I may have mentioned in another thread.  A person or a group makes the interested parties list if they have asked for the update (virtual chicken) or if they are associated with the impediment.

        There are other variations of this (based on team cultures) like a modified punchlist that are also used.

        Here is the interesting thing.  The Daily Update as it is called, is forwarded repeatedly,  Thus providing the entire organization that is impacted by the activity of the team a single statement on the status.  The updates occur every day around the same time.

        Three things are happening that prove this variant of the daily scrum adds value.

        1.         The team members report that their productivity has improved because they do not get the “what’s up” call that interrupts them.  Proof, the back log in one critical area has decreased by 2 orders of magnitude – most of which are revenue sensitive.

        2.         Daily Updates that do not go out as expected (there was and will never be a schedule for these) the manager gets phone calls from people not on the distribution list and sometimes not even associated with the activity.  This includes VP and D and C level people looking for insight.

        3.         people who work in groups that are traditionally managed, have begun to perform ‘one man sprints’ and are finding the same results.  In fact one key player has a vendor doing the same  (no formal request, just through example that it works.)

        4.         The larger impact is that the meetings we attend with the receivers of the daily update can move faster and easier, manage customers better and do not worry.

        Michael F. Dwyer

        Mike.Dwyer1@...