Re: Pigs are offensive? Never CALL people pigs or chickens

  • aacockburn
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
      I had to introduce a standup in a company this week, with extremely
      little time to brief them as to what it was and how it worked. The
      ueber manager got confused at one point and thought I was wanting the
      senior managers to meet when I really wanted a very particular
      project team group to meet.

      I said that it could apply to any group and the meeting was defined
      by the participants who were working together and had something to
      report --- and then I listed the names of the people I had in mind.

      When the much larger meeting was breaking up and we were getting
      ready to start, someone asked if they should stay. I answered that
      the meeting was for those who had something to report out, for those
      who had something to say about their accomplishments in the last few
      days on this project. He said, "Oh, that's not me, so I don't have to
      stay".

      In the end, all the people who left knew they didn't have anything to
      say on the topic at hand, all who stayed knew they did, except one
      person who said, "I'm just here to listen."

      This took more words to speak than "pigs and chickens" but about the
      same number of sentences. For this group, it was better not to
      introduce specialized slang vocabulary into their (already tense)
      meeting.

      Alistair