Re: Team Member Performance Reviews under Scrum - any guides?

  • Jeff Sutherland
    Message 1 of 107 , Jul 1, 2005
      The first Scrum at Easel Corporation created a review process which I
      have used at many companies since 1993 and find it is the best process
      I have ever seen as it helps push teams to transcendent performance.
      That means they produce the best product in the industry and get into
      Gartner's magic quadrant.

      First, ratings are weighted 50% to individual performance, 25% by the
      team's opinion of performance, and 25% to company goals met.

      The interested part is how the ratings are determined on a scale of 1
      to 10.

      The developer gets a 5 automatically unless other forces come into play.

      If the ScrumMaster is the manager, things are simple. Often there is
      another resource manager. In that case the ScrumMaster and the
      resource manager view of individual performance are weighted equally.

      If the manager feels expectations are exceeded s/he can raise the
      rating to a 6. If s/he feels performance is under expection, s/he can
      lower it to a 4. That is all a manager can do. I'm serious about this.
      A manager cannot by themselves raise or lower the rating any more. It
      is up to other people in the company, the customers, and the industry
      trade journals to influence the rating further. This drives a silver
      stake into sucking up and special pleading for reviews and/or pay
      increases. It levels the playing field.

      The team rating is determined by asking each team member how they
      would rate performance on the scale of 1 to 10. They are asked for an
      immediate gut level response, no thinking. Many developers just can't
      help write a rational for what they say so that is fine. However, you
      want an immediate response without a lot of rationalization.

      The team members ratings are averaged. If it is clear that the
      individual exceeded the team's expectation, the manager can raise the
      individual performance rating to a 7. Conversely, if the team is
      bummed out, the manager can lower it to a 3.

      The manager then polls executive management. If the management team
      feels the individual exceeded their expectations, the manager can
      raise the individual performance rating to an 8. To get an 8, an
      individual must be visible to senior management. This challenges the
      ScrumMaster and resource manager to help make excellent performance
      visibile throughout the company. This motivates developers and helps
      them grow. Sometimes you have to get them in front of the management
      team to give a presentation so they get the rating they deserve.

      To get to a 9, there must be significant documentation in writing from
      customers that say the individual clearly exceeded customer
      expectations. If customers say the developer is a 9, it overrides all
      other ratings.

      For a 10, the industry journals must say that the product the team
      created is the best in the industry. If they single out an individual
      as a 10 it overrides all other ratings.

      This focuses the individual and team motivation away from pleasing the
      manager and onto performance and visibility outside the team for
      productive work within the team. The impact is huge.

      The first Scrum team got a 10 on their second release. I had another
      Scrum team at IDX get a 10. Obviously, in both cases, the industry
      trade journals said their product was the best of its type in the
      industry. The added value of each team in the cycle they got a 10 was
      measured in the millions of dollars. (No, they did not get a million
      dollar bonus!)

      After working a similar process in five companies, I'm convinced that
      if you want to win, you will move to a performance rating process that
      achieves these effects.

      Jeff Sutherland
      Certified ScrumMaster Training

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Ferrier"
      <aferrier@a...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > Are there any texts out there you can point me to that guide Annual
      > Team Member Performance Reviews under Scrum for Agile Managers?
      >
      > thanks
      > ajf
    • ldrews
      Message 107 of 107 , Jul 15, 2005