Use of "Literate" Wiki or Fit/Fitnesse for stories + tests + code?

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2005
      I heard about someone doing this somewhere but dont remember the details
      and was hoping someone here might remember or have an example/story ...

      I seem to recall someone maintaining they were using some kind of Wiki
      implementation (possibly with Fit or Fitnesse) to do a sort of
      Wiki-style of Literate Programming:
      * Somehow their Wiki pages could easily take code snippets inside of
      "code" markup tags, with some optional directive regarding the file
      name/location in which to store the code.
      * They did their "stories", tasks and tests in their Wiki, as well as
      the production code and the test code.
      * They could use WikiWords to add hyperlinks to other wiki pages, and
      took advantage of this feature in their coding convention's so that
      names of methods, classes, and certain other things would automatically
      show up as wiki-links to wiki-pages
      * The result was a fully "literate" hyperlinked Wiki with links from
      stories/tasks to tests to code
      * They had a few commands to generate pages that would do things like:
      - show the code directory structure (with hyperlinks of course)
      - build the codebase
      - run the tests and capture the results in a generated report on
      another page (complete with Wiki-links)
      - generate other "visible charts" regarding status of stories/tasks
      in pages for an Iteration or Release (again complete with Wiki-links)
      - generate a hierarchically ordered "compilation" of stories as if
      it were a "requirements book"

      Apparently, by following some simple conventions and with only a little
      additional discipline+protocol, the result was like a SOX and ISO
      auditor's fantasy. ALL of the project, requirements/tests, code, and
      other descriptive info (including process descriptions) were in one
      hierarchically organized and fully hyperlinked, searchable and
      browseable repository that generated multiple views (e.g., project,
      iteration, release, burndown, source-tree, even branching) for
      navigating the information.

      Has anyone here heard about this, or know of someone who did it, or even
      just have some reasonable idea of what could be readily used to
      implement it and what type of custom-tweaking would be needed (e.g.,
      possibly with RubyOnRails?)
      "And miles to go before I sleep" --Robert Frost