RE: [scrumdevelopment] Tools, Scrum Differentiation

  • Dean Goodmanson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2003
      Chiming in to promote the theme: How is that
      different?

      Scrum was originally appealing to me because it seemed
      a balanced and thought-out approach to the "rush-mode
      list based management" that seems to happen just after
      a formal process has broken down. (And feature
      priorities are truly prioritized, daily meetings,
      short-term delivery dates....)
      This feature primarily benefits adoption and training,
      but as you say has a "I already do that" possibility
      when folks don't look at the other features of
      boundaries, values, metrics...

      > I think we need to develop a different
      > kind of tools reflecting the different kind of
      > approach to avoid customers saying: "It is just a
      > traditional tool with some different labels and
      > names" (it happened to me).

      Your experience reflects this at a tool level! :-)

      Can I ask ways that you differentiated?

      My hope was to hear that someone has implemented Scrum
      into a data extendable Wiki such as TWiki or ZWiki.
      This would allow mixing lightweight documentation w/
      communication value encouragement into the daily entry
      form.

      On a slightly tangential note I was wondering if the
      following into article is available, or could be
      collaboratively built. I'd like a 1 or 2 page article
      describing the fundamentals of Scrum, environment and
      benefits. Titled either "Are you ready for Scrum?" or
      "Is Scrum right for you?" Points would include: Areas
      of failing in a current organization ("Do you
      need...") from missing essentials to worthless bloat,
      List of values Scrum embraces, followed by
      implementation details such as "Do your team members
      have 5 minutes a day for team communication?, Does
      your Manager have 10 minutes a day for
      administration?"
      This does seem to lend itself towards evangelizing
      canvassing and pamphlets. Potentially at trade-shows,
      but also as an adoption tool and desktop reference.
      Please forgive me if I've overlooked something
      obvious.

      Best Regards,

      Dean Goodmanson

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com