AW: [scrumdevelopment] Maximum Size of Scrum Team

  • Jiri Lundak
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2005
      Hi Mishkin,

      > What allows a large Scrum team to succeed if the whole team is working
      > off of the same product backlog, does Scrum planning and daily Scrums
      > together, sits all in the same room?
      >
      > If you would like to make a brief reply:
      >
      > Size of team? ____14___ (size > 9)
      > Did it work? ____no___ (yes/no)

      Team had grown gradually. We have split the team to three teams now.

      The reasons:

      - The teams' communication overhead was becoming to big (seen in Daily
      Scrum taking too long and if pushed back to 15 min. did loose information
      value).
      - Some team members were working on things so different, that they were
      less interested in what the others had to say.
      - We did not fit in one room anymore (not so many large rooms here).
      - Team members could not focus on their tasks, because of distraction by
      other team members' tasks, that had nothing to do with their work.
      - Team was not as cohesive as it should have been.
      - More difficult for the ScrumMaster to have an eye on each team member
      (for feeling its pulse)

      Each team consists of different people, so your mileage may vary.
      For us smaller teams work better together.

      Bad thing with smaller teams: Sometimes more information from the
      other teams is needed -> good information radiators have to be in
      place.

      Hope this helps.

      Jiri Lundak, Switzerland

      -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----