Defense project needs some help

  • Hal Macomber
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2002

      Hi,

      I need some advice.  I have a group that is in the third year of development (s/w and h/w) on a five year defense project.  Overall, the project is going well.  The team performs well; the client is satisfied; and the budget is in good shape.  In this coming year the team will be heavy in systems integration.  We expect to deal with regular (maybe everyday) critical decisions, the specifics of which won't be anticipated...the issue will just arise during the day.  We are kicking around the idea of a stand-up meeting every afternoon to deal with the issues of the day.  (The team already has stand-up meetings 3 times/week in the mornings.)  There are a total of 85 people organized in 7 or 8 subteams.  The project is not taking a scrum approach, but is quite open to "inflections to their style."

      What approaches could we use specifically for the daily critical issues and why?  Any other advice?

      Happy holidays,
      Hal

      Get a daily dose of the changes underway in project management at Reforming Project Management.  What's a weblog?  http://weblog.halmacomber.com

      978-470-8994

    • Linda Rising
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 24, 2002
        Hi Hal,

        I worked with a system test team during integration that did exactly what you are suggesting --
        very successfully! The rest of the project was not using Scrum but we "adapted" the Scrum
        Meeting to address testing and integration issues. I believe that those who haven't been laid
        off (from a large telecom company) are still using the approach.

        As I think about our experience, I wonder how bad things would have been without that
        daily meeting -- given all the issues we resolved in a very efficient manner...

        Happy Holidays!

        Linda