Re: Scrum Master Shared?

  • Jeff Sutherland <jeff.sutherland@compute
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 24, 2002
      Glen,

      One of the primary goals of the first SCRUM was to reduce management
      overhead to less than 20% of time for a technical leader. The best
      (but not only) SCRUM Master is a technical leader who is coding with
      the troops 80% of the time (for the individual SCRUMs).

      If you have a SCRUM of SCRUMs, the leader may have more of a
      management component, but even there 50% technical work enhances the
      ability of the leader to get close to the people doing the
      implementation.

      Even a Senior VP who may not be coding can take on the project
      management function (it only takes a few minutes a day if you use the
      approach described at jeffsutherland.com/scrum), architecture design,
      direction, and analysis, oversight of the QA function and how it can
      add to the SCRUM process and be automated, R&D, evaluation of new
      tools and approaches, and so forth.

      SCRUM was designed so that everyone can be doing development and
      there are no administrative tasks that take away from it. 60 seconds
      a day for developers and 10 minutes a day for the developer who is
      the project leader.

      In some cases (Ken Schwaber will remember this) senior management was
      required to come to the SCRUM meeting to get any reporting at all.
      And when they came to the SCRUM, the team would often give them tasks
      that they were expected to deliver on.

      Jeff Sutherland

      -- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "n1xf <n1xf@y...>"