FW: [scrumdevelopment] Re: beginning a SCRUM project

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15 9:00 AM

      Alistair,

      Well said.  I just want to add:

      <<We're just now finishing our system design and we're going to start
      coding in a few days. >>

      (Alistair “it does make sense to spend time deciding what
      the company should build, and also what basic architecture to use ---
      and then it makes sense to start building early, so you can discover
      which of your assumptions was ill-founded and which of several
      alternatives works better.”)

      We use Envisioning exercises, or workshops to eye-ball the design of things.  We believe this

      to be much more agile, because it takes much less time and typically leads to much higher quality,

      since very quickly you can scan the sea of possibilities, come up with viable alternatives,

      sort things out (typically using pros/cons), and write a few statements than write

      class or package diagrams, which might be *premature*.

      Martine Devos, one of the strongest advocates of Scrum in the mid 90’s, used to have

      “Envisioning Workshops” when starting a new project, I borrowed the practice, and

      just about *everything* we do --- for the company or our products, goes through

      this envisioning process.  In some cases, we go as far as determining a rough

      Product Backlog  or even a Release Plan for a product or an extension of a product.

      What is the result of an envisioning workshop you may ask?  Not architectural diagrams,

      or a full system design.  In most cases is just a bullet list of statements like:

                  * Each user will participate with the system through a worklist

      * Each user will be able to save their own preferences

      * The authorization service will make available or hide functionality

                  * The system will “wake up” every night and execute a set of rules to generate new tasks

                  for the users and/or the system

                  * There will be a set of http services advertised by which the application will talk

      on demand to external servers

                  * etc.

      The purpose of these statements is not necessarily to match the requirements but

      to provide a well-defined vision of how the overall system will work.

      This is probably at the level between “metaphor” in XP and a traditional “system design” or

      architecture,

      - Mike