RE: [scrumdevelopment] Looking for people who want to be part of a grand experiment.

  • Tobias Mayer
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 12, 2005
      Mike,
      I'm still having a hard time following what you are saying (which is kind of ironic, given the context).  But if it is simply: "speak a language that business people/customers understand" then I agree.  I do my best to speak without jargon at all times.

      As for sending email to "all interested parties", well, that is what almost cost me my job - twice (I am a slow learner).   Large command/control organizations do not like things to be made visible - it raises all kinds of bizarre fears: people get offended, get defensive, take it personally, feel threatened, feel exposed, file complaints...

      I have had to learn to respect - or at least accept - that situation, and be selective in who I communicate with - and how I communicate.  It is not always easy, weighing up what should be said against what is culturally acceptable to say, but if we don't recognize and respect the culture of the organization we are in, and work for change within that culture, then we are unlikely to get far.

      Tobias
      "change is hard - and then you die"
      -- me, today

      Mike Dwyer <mike.dwyer1@...> wrote:

      In a response to post by banshee858

      Mike Dwyer Wrote

      -OK.

      -Things to try.

      -Reorganize the information in section so that it refers to the product or the business end of what you are doing.

      -What I accomplished:

      -Techie talk -> biznessesse

      -   Techie as read by biznessesse

      -            Blah blah blah invoice blah blah blah

            --->

      -    biznessesse equivalent of what you said.

      -           The invoice functions have reached the point where blah blah blah.  Things are going well.

      -What I plan on having done by tomorrow:

      -  Techie

      -      The conversion of the state table to a bit map readable array of blah blah blah

      -  Biznessesse

      -      Increased invoice processing performance will be added with the conversion of the business rules to a state table blah blah blah.

      What is impeding my progress.

      -          Techie

      -          Morton Mindbinder and Wanda Around have not provided a set of business rules that we can apply logically,  This is the fifth time we have tried to set up a meeting but their Voice Mail is full and return request emails are never delivered, their offices are always empty and their calendar is unavailable to us to set up a meeting.

      -          Biznessesse

      -          As I have mention for the past 5 days, If the business rules for the state table are not approved by tomorrow, then the invoice processing sprint  item should be returned to the backlog and rescheduled when the procrastination sub group of the analysis paralysis division can agree and have the document signed by the Product Owner.

      Please advise me as to what my options are.

      Try sending to all interested parties, that is to say anyone named in the impediments or anyone is going to be impacted by your inability to deliver. It is important to preface that you are sending this out to all who are mentioned or impacted.  It also insulated you from being called a blindsiding no good, weasel wording techie who doesn’t understand business.   Thems that say this are the ones who do not benefit from things running smoothly.

      Michael F. Dwyer

      Mike.Dwyer1@...