RE: [scrumdevelopment] Waterfall and Dr. Winston Royce

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
      Great example!

      -Mike

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Martin Fowler [mailto:mfowlerlists@...]
      Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 6:24 PM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Waterfall and Dr. Winston Royce

      Mike Cohn wrote:
      > I think the popularity of waterfall is that everything degrades into
      > waterfall model to some extent.

      > Even a fairly extreme shift like Kent Beck's Test-Driven Development
      is
      > a waterfall to some extent: find a requirement, write a test (that
      > fails), write the code, retest, refactor. All repeated on a scale of
      > minutes.

      I often say that the only problem with waterfalls is when they are too
      large. It's reasonable to kayak the Rogue River, it isn't wise to Kayak
      over Niagara Falls

      Martin

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Robert Henley
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
        Martin Fowler wrote:

        > I often say that the only problem with waterfalls is when they are too
        > large. It's reasonable to kayak the Rogue River, it isn't wise to Kayak
        > over Niagara Falls

        Which is exactly the point of lean production: small lot sizes work better.
        And an excellent example; I laughed out loud. Thank you!
        Robert Henley
        Software Architect & Engineer
      • Kevin McIntosh
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 15, 2002
          I'm sure you couldn't convince this guy that going over Niagara Falls is such a bad idea...

          http://www.taoberman.com/ <---- Nothing to do with PM.

          -Kevin.