Re: UseCases in the Backlog / WAS: Requirements

  • Kent Wakely
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi

      Our teams tend to use User Stories as our basic way of capturing project
      requirements. In other words, Product Backlog Items == User Stories for us.
      We expand on those User Stories in different ways with different artifacts
      depending on the requirement -- sometimes we create Use Cases, sometimes we
      create UI wireframes, sometimes we just capture a few simple business rules.

      As an example, for a User Story like, "As a site visitor, I can submit my
      credit card information to pay for a purchase," we'd probably just capture a
      few business rule like: can use Visa, Mastercard, Amex; payment gateway is
      InternetSecure Inc.; merchant account is XXXX at Bank AAAAA and so on.

      But if, say, for some reason Visa and Mastercard transactions needed to be
      processed differently and it was important to the succesful implementation
      of the Story for developers or end users to know the specific steps and
      exceptions for each, we'd probably document those steps with one or more Use
      Cases. (I learned how to write use cases from reading Alistair Cockburn, and
      I do most of the Use Case writing around here, so our Use Cases tend to be
      Cockburnesque).

      In terms of where the Sprint Backlog comes into it, we might capture "write
      a use case for X" or "document business rules for Y" as Sprint Backlog
      items. But, also, sometimes the need for a Use Case emerges spontaneously
      and if we can just bang one out in half an hour or so, we don't bother to
      create a Backlog item for it.

      - kent

      [Get ideas, tools and insight to help your organization grow online.
      Subscribe to Xaccute Ideas@Work Quarterly. Sign up now at
      http://www.xaccute.com/newsletter and earn a chance to win $100 from
      Amazon.ca.]

      kent wakely
      xaccute interactive :: solutions that connect
      kent@...
      +1.416.628.4880 :: toronto vox
      647.722.0059 :: fax
      1.866.576.4688 :: toll free