RE: [scrumdevelopment] Waterfall and Dr. Winston Royce

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
      Great. Where do I apply?
      Ken

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Mike Cohn [mailto:mike@...]
      Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 5:54 PM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [scrumdevelopment] Waterfall and Dr. Winston Royce

      According to http://woodrow.mpls.frb.fed.us/research/data/us/calc/

      $5 million in 1970 is $23M today
      and
      Ken should be making $55,515 a year.

      --Mike

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Ken Schwaber [mailto:ken.schwaber@...]
      Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 3:18 PM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

      Let's see. In 1970 I was being paid $12,000 a year by the University of
      Chicago. At the same markup (factor of 30), I should be making $360,000
      per
      year. Who wants to contribute to the cause??
      Ken

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
        Kidding aside, what is the real take on the 1000 page
        spec?
        Dr. Royce said a 1000 page spec is appropriate and
        David said it's reasonable, but isn't this totally
        wrong approach to agile?
        Why spec so much?
        I loathe the waterfall methodology. We have one
        manager trying to push it at my company. He's winning
        the battle.

        =====
        ==Paul

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Ken Schwaber
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
          Whenever documentation is used instead of face-to-face communication, it is
          a chance for misunderstanding and failure to communicate. Nobody writes or
          models precisely enough to include all possible details, and there is the
          chance for moving forward incorrectly. Not to mention the wasted effort
          writing something that is going to go out of date the moment the first
          change comes in (unless you prohibit changes, not always a good idea with
          changing requirements and complex technology). So the only documentation
          that I like is work-in-progress, used to think through an idea,
          documentation UNLESS the documentation will be used by others to create a
          vision (marketing), operate the system, or user documentation. 1000 pages of
          spec is just asking for trouble.
          Ken

          Kidding aside, what is the real take on the 1000 page
          spec?
          Dr. Royce said a 1000 page spec is appropriate and
          David said it's reasonable, but isn't this totally
          wrong approach to agile?
          Why spec so much?
          I loathe the waterfall methodology. We have one
          manager trying to push it at my company. He's winning
          the battle.

          --- Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...> wrote:
          > Great. Where do I apply?
          > Ken

        • David J. Anderson
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
            Still kidding for a moment - 1000 pages for a $23MM
            project would still be OK.

            Now to deal with the real beast of Waterfall and why
            it remains popular.

            I think it is to do with two things - a tangible way
            to declare progress - and related to this a way for
            accounts to show added value - some countries allow
            the capitalization of development work in their
            standard and acceptable accounting practices.

            The 2nd one creates a macro problem for managers -
            they can have financial constraints or controls
            imposed which make Waterfall optimal for solving the
            problem of meeting their numbers. This would be hard
            to overcome - maybe impossible in a big company -
            Fortune 500.

            The first one is really to do with how acceptable the
            management finds reporting methods. I think that
            getting out of the waterfall model can be overcome
            with learning. For example, if in Scrum you could
            build consensus that reporting on the burn down chart
            of tasks for a project (or as Ken does in the book)
            report the hours remaining then this may be
            acceptable.

            It occurs to me that the hours remaining against the
            hours spent may be a suitable solution to the
            financial problem too.

            Developers get asked to fill out timesheets becuase of
            management accounting methods such as Activity Based
            Costing. If Scrum's time remaining (and time spent)
            charts were enough for management then the Waterfall
            thinking would be broken.

            In my experience, getting people to buy-off on new
            ways of reporting progress is very hard - very hard
            indeed.

            David

            --- Paul <horked_noodle@...> wrote:

            <HR>

            <tt>
            Kidding aside, what is the real take on the 1000
            page<BR>
            spec?<BR>
            Dr. Royce said a 1000 page spec is appropriate and<BR>
            David said it's reasonable, but isn't this totally<BR>
            wrong approach to agile?<BR>
            Why spec so much?<BR>
            I loathe the waterfall methodology.  We have
            one<BR>
            manager trying to push it at my company.  He's
            winning<BR>
            the battle.<BR>
            <BR>
            --- Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...>
            wrote:<BR>
            > Great. Where do I apply?<BR>
            > Ken<BR>
            > <BR>
            > -----Original Message-----<BR>
            Dr.<BR>
            > Winston Royce<BR>
            > <BR>
            > <BR>
            > According to<BR>
            ><BR>
            <a
            href="http://woodrow.mpls.frb.fed.us/research/data/us/calc/">http://woodrow.mpls.frb.fed.us/research/data/us/calc/</a><BR>
            > <BR>
            > $5 million in 1970 is $23M today<BR>
            > and<BR>
            > Ken should be making $55,515 a year.<BR>
            > <BR>
            > --Mike<BR>
            > <BR>
            > -----Original Message-----<BR>
            year<BR>
            > by the University of<BR>
            > Chicago. At the same markup (factor of 30), I
            should<BR>
            > be making $360,000<BR>
            > per<BR>
            > year. Who wants to contribute to the cause??<BR>
            > Ken<BR>
            > <BR>
            > -----Original Message-----<BR>
            is<BR>
            > around $150MM.<BR>
            > <BR>
            > I'd say a 1000 page specification for a
            $150MM<BR>
            href="http://www.uidesign.net/">http://www.uidesign.net/</a><BR>
            <ken.schwaber@...>"<BR>
            > <ken.schwaber@...> wrote:<BR>
            > <BR>
            > Documentation - Dr. Royce, "My own view is
            quite a<BR>
            > lot...the first<BR>
            > rule of managing software development is
            ruthless<BR>
            > enforcement of<BR>
            > documentation requirements ... Management of<BR>
            > software<BR>
            > is simply<BR>
            > impossible without a very high degree of<BR>
            > documentation." Dr. Royce<BR>
            > indicates that a 1000 page spec document is<BR>
            > appropriate for a $5m<BR>
            > project, mostly because "a verbal record is
            too<BR>
            > intangible."<BR>
            > <BR>
            > <BR>
            > <BR>

            > Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign
            up<BR>
            href="http://mailplus.yahoo.com">http://mailplus.yahoo.com</a><BR>
            href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a><BR>
            > <BR>
            > <BR>
            > <BR>
            > scrumdevelopment@...<BR>
            > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:<BR>
            > scrumdevelopment-unsubscribe@...<BR>
            > <BR>
            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to<BR>
            > <a
            href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a><BR>
            > <BR>
            > <BR>
            > <BR>
            > <BR>
            > <BR>
            > scrumdevelopment@...<BR>
            > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:<BR>
            > scrumdevelopment-unsubscribe@...<BR>
            > <BR>
            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to<BR>
            > <a
            href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a><BR>
            > <BR>
            > <BR>
            > <BR>
            <BR>
            =====<BR>
            ==Paul<BR>
            <BR>
            Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up
            now.<BR>
            <a
            href="http://mailplus.yahoo.com">http://mailplus.yahoo.com</a><BR>
            </tt>

            <tt>
            scrumdevelopment@...<BR>

            <tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
            href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms
            of Service</a>.</tt>

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Mike Cohn
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
              I suspect documentation would be critical to a $23M project and that
              it's easy to see how 1000 pages of *documents* get produced. However,
              I'm talking about after-the-fact documents not upfront specs. On a
              project of that size there are going to be many groups each proceeding
              in their own agile way (we hope) but all the work of all teams (and all
              500 programmers) will not get "continuously integrated" into one unit.
              There will be some after the fact documents written ("here's how to use
              the API we discussed") and such.

              Alistair Cockburn really helped me see the light about Ken's point below
              that face-to-face communication is so much better than written. I
              actually like written communication--it's nice and safe, easy to archive
              and prove what was agreed to. However, face to face communication is
              multi-modal: you've got the words, the person's body language, the tone
              of voice, timing, etc. It's also bidirectional--You are giving me
              feedback as I speak (should I speed up because you get my point? Go over
              it in more detail? Etc) I think about the first distributed team I
              managed and how I had to beg them to stop sending email and pick up the
              phone because things were getting misinterpreted. The two groups came
              together via an acquisition and they hated each other (prior companies
              were competitors). The slight misstep in an email turned ugly fast. That
              never happened when the individuals met in person or even via phone.
              Think about how hard it is to get across things like sarcasm in an email
              (or any written document) and you want to stick with face-to-face after
              that.

              I don't think there's a hard number of pages we can point to and say
              "that's no longer agile".

              Here's an interesting bit of math though that shows that if the $23
              million project was managed via Scrum it could end up with 1000 pages.
              Let's assume 200 people on the project for 12 months. 200 people would
              be roughly 25 scrum teams. Each month each scrum team produces a sprint
              backlog (a list of "requirements" they'll fulfill that sprint). That's
              13 sprints/year times 25 teams or 325 individual sprints. If each sprint
              kept it's sprint backlog (for any of a variety of reasons) and one page
              summarizing the results of the sprint and one other page we'd have 975
              pages!!

              -Mike

              1 page x 100 x 12

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
                Well, I plan to attempt it. I'll definatly need help
                from you guys. I do work for a fortune 500 company.
                Our ways are bad for the new economy.
                My last position there the manager had a waterfall
                dream, and just kept pushing more documenting and more
                docmenting until I got fed up and left. There had to
                be documentation for HTML web pages. I really like
                the point of documentation as a tool for the team to
                do it's work, and nothing more. But the QA dept.
                wanted to put them in nice binders on the shelf so
                that any time a program was changed, the corresponding
                documentation would also need changed and refiled in
                the binders. After pulling out most of my hair, I had
                to leave the department.

                I think agile is the way and I am aiming at using it
                or being fired.

                -- Paul

                --- "David J. Anderson" <netherby_uk@...>

                === message truncated ===

                =====
                ==Paul

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • Mike Cohn
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
                  Good luck with the change, Paul.

                  There is a lot of material at www.agilealliance.com/articles that can
                  help. There are articles on transitioning and there are case studies and
                  background materials on all the agile processes. Naturally, my
                  preference is Scrum but the other processes are sometimes a better fit
                  (e.g., FDD if you're group likes UML, DSDM if they're prototyping fans).

                  There are plenty of others pushing for similar changes within their
                  organizations. Just let us know of anything specific we can do to help
                  you sell the change and make the transition.

                  -Mike

                  wrote:
                  > Still kidding for a moment - 1000 pages for a $23MM
                  > project would still be OK.
                  >
                  > Now to deal with the real beast of Waterfall and why
                  > it remains popular.
                  >
                  > I think it is to do with two things - a tangible way
                  > to declare progress - and related to this a way for
                  > accounts to show added value - some countries allow
                  > the capitalization of development work in their
                  > standard and acceptable accounting practices.
                  >
                  > The 2nd one creates a macro problem for managers -
                  > they can have financial constraints or controls
                  > imposed which make Waterfall optimal for solving the
                  > problem of meeting their numbers. This would be hard
                  > to overcome - maybe impossible in a big company -
                  > Fortune 500.
                  >
                  > The first one is really to do with how acceptable
                  > the
                  > management finds reporting methods. I think that
                  > getting out of the waterfall model can be overcome
                  > with learning. For example, if in Scrum you could
                  > build consensus that reporting on the burn down
                  > chart
                  > of tasks for a project (or as Ken does in the book)
                  > report the hours remaining then this may be
                  > acceptable.
                  >
                  > It occurs to me that the hours remaining against the
                  > hours spent may be a suitable solution to the
                  > financial problem too.
                  >
                  > Developers get asked to fill out timesheets becuase
                  > of
                  > management accounting methods such as Activity Based
                  > Costing. If Scrum's time remaining (and time spent)
                  > charts were enough for management then the Waterfall
                  > thinking would be broken.
                  >
                  > In my experience, getting people to buy-off on new
                  > ways of reporting progress is very hard - very hard
                  > indeed.
                  >
                  > David
                  >

                  > --- Paul <horked_noodle@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > <HR>
                  >

                  > <tt>
                  > Kidding aside, what is the real take on the 1000
                  > page<BR>
                  > spec?<BR>
                  > Dr. Royce said a 1000 page spec is appropriate
                  > and<BR>
                  > David said it's reasonable, but isn't this
                  > totally<BR>
                  > wrong approach to agile?<BR>
                  > Why spec so much?<BR>
                  > I loathe the waterfall methodology.  We have
                  > one<BR>
                  > manager trying to push it at my company.  He's
                  > winning<BR>
                  > the battle.<BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > --- Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...>
                  > wrote:<BR>
                  > > Great. Where do I apply?<BR>
                  > > Ken<BR>
                  > > <BR>
                  > > -----Original Message-----<BR>

                  === message truncated ===

                  =====
                  ==Paul

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
                    Paul,
                    Let the group know where you're located and maybe someone can come in and
                    help you, such as give a presentation, talk throught the benefits and
                    implementation details, minimize the disruption. For instance, management
                    reporting. Absolutely a difficult item to tackle. I usually recommend that
                    existing management reporting be kept totally intact, overhead and all, and
                    that Scrum reporting be added to it. During review meetings, review the
                    "real" progress on the Scrum reports. Eventually, management gets
                    comfortable with these reports AND the actual progress demonstrated at the
                    Sprint reviews. But this is a "win them over" not "kill them with how right
                    I am" approach. Management is threatened enough by ScrumMaster and them
                    "helping" the teams rather than telling the teams what to do. And then we
                    turn them out of their offices and turn the office into a team design room.
                    Wow! That's difficult change!
                    Ken

                    wrote:
                    > Still kidding for a moment - 1000 pages for a $23MM
                    > project would still be OK.
                    >
                    > Now to deal with the real beast of Waterfall and why
                    > it remains popular.
                    >
                    > I think it is to do with two things - a tangible way
                    > to declare progress - and related to this a way for
                    > accounts to show added value - some countries allow
                    > the capitalization of development work in their
                    > standard and acceptable accounting practices.
                    >
                    > The 2nd one creates a macro problem for managers -
                    > they can have financial constraints or controls
                    > imposed which make Waterfall optimal for solving the
                    > problem of meeting their numbers. This would be hard
                    > to overcome - maybe impossible in a big company -
                    > Fortune 500.
                    >
                    > The first one is really to do with how acceptable
                    > the
                    > management finds reporting methods. I think that
                    > getting out of the waterfall model can be overcome
                    > with learning. For example, if in Scrum you could
                    > build consensus that reporting on the burn down
                    > chart
                    > of tasks for a project (or as Ken does in the book)
                    > report the hours remaining then this may be
                    > acceptable.
                    >
                    > It occurs to me that the hours remaining against the
                    > hours spent may be a suitable solution to the
                    > financial problem too.
                    >
                    > Developers get asked to fill out timesheets becuase
                    > of
                    > management accounting methods such as Activity Based
                    > Costing. If Scrum's time remaining (and time spent)
                    > charts were enough for management then the Waterfall
                    > thinking would be broken.
                    >
                    > In my experience, getting people to buy-off on new
                    > ways of reporting progress is very hard - very hard
                    > indeed.
                    >
                    > David
                    >

                    > --- Paul <horked_noodle@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > <HR>
                    >

                    > <tt>
                    > Kidding aside, what is the real take on the 1000
                    > page<BR>
                    > spec?<BR>
                    > Dr. Royce said a 1000 page spec is appropriate
                    > and<BR>
                    > David said it's reasonable, but isn't this
                    > totally<BR>
                    > wrong approach to agile?<BR>
                    > Why spec so much?<BR>
                    > I loathe the waterfall methodology.  We have
                    > one<BR>
                    > manager trying to push it at my company.  He's
                    > winning<BR>
                    > the battle.<BR>
                    > <BR>
                    > --- Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...>
                    > wrote:<BR>
                    > > Great. Where do I apply?<BR>
                    > > Ken<BR>
                    > > <BR>
                    > > -----Original Message-----<BR>

                    === message truncated ===

                    =====
                    ==Paul

                  • Mike Beedle
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
                      --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:
                      Mike Cohn wrote:
                      Here's an interesting bit of math though that shows
                      that if the $23<BR>
                      million project was managed via Scrum it could end up
                      with 1000 pages.<BR>
                      Let's assume 200 people on the project for 12 months.
                      200 people would<BR>
                      be roughly 25 scrum teams. Each month each scrum team
                      produces a sprint<BR>
                      backlog (a list of "requirements" they'll
                      fulfill that sprint). That's<BR>
                      13 sprints/year times 25 teams or 325 individual
                      sprints. If each sprint<BR>
                      kept it's sprint backlog (for any of a variety of
                      reasons) and one page<BR>
                      summarizing the results of the sprint and one other
                      page we'd have 975<BR>
                      pages!!<BR>
                      <BR>
                      -Mike<BR>
                      <BR>
                      1 page x 100 x 12<BR>
                      <BR>

                      Mike:

                      Ah, but there is a difference on _how_ the "Scrum
                      1000 page requirements document" was put together;
                      and in turn, _how_ the software was put togehter;
                      because it was as _evolved_, _reprioritized_,
                      _tested_, _integrated_, and _developed iteratively_
                      through customer feedback while ensuring the comfort
                      of the developers.

                      To be able to do that you need:

                      - short time-boxing
                      - constant people interactions
                      - shared values than promote cooperation
                      - self-organizing behavior
                      - constant learning
                      - knowledge sharing
                      - a license to do research and be creative
                      - etc.
                      - (and all of the other things that synergistically
                      contribute to create a true agile environment)

                      Yes, I know -- I am preaching to the choir, I just
                      want
                      to underline that the _how_ is perhaps very important,

                      - Mike
                    • Mike Cohn
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
                        Absolutely, Absolutly!

                        And even using the example I gave we'd only get 75 pages of paper per
                        month for a 200 person "team."

                        -Mike

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002

                          Ken,

                          Although I agree that Winston Royce’s paper doesn’t describe an Agile process of today, I think it is not such a bad paper if you take into consideration the following:

                          1.       In figure 7, Royce proposes an early ‘simulation’ done by a small skilled team, to prove the concept.  Thus he says that a complete iteration through, testing and usage, is the most appropriate form of feedback.  He notes that going only one level up is not adequate.

                          2.       I certainly disagree with Royce on the usefulness of the extensive documentation he recommends.  But note – you can substitute tests for most of Royce’s documentation, and if you do this, the paper is not so bad.  Royce didn’t have access to the testing capability we do today, but if he did, I’ll bet most of his documentation would be changed tests in a 2003 paper.

                          3.       At least Royce admits that everything besides analysis and coding is waste. How many people have been insulted when I called all that other stuff waste!  Now I can quote Royce at them and have someone with real credibility back me up.

                          I have a suggestion that comes from product development.  In the 1980’s, product development in the US was decidedly sequential.  Nobody had a clue how to do it any other way.  You’ve got to excuse the software development writers of the time for their sequential bias – it was everywhere (in this country anyway).

                          In the late 1980’s, Kim Clark studied the product development practices of automakers world-wide.  The results are in his book “Product Development Performance” (1991) and Womack’s book “The Machine that Changed the World,” (1990). They noted that Japanese product development practices saved 1/3 in development time and 1/2 the development effort, and resulted in better products – consistently, across the industry.  They called Japanese practices concurrent development.  Most US automobile companies have moved from sequential to concurrent product development, as have many other companies.

                          Clark points out that the fundamental difference between sequential and concurrent development is the information flow between people.  It is high bandwidth, bi-directional, and concurrent (ie, information gets transferred as soon as design starts, not when its done).  The feedback provided by this approach is enormous, and accounts for the large, consistent improvement in performance.

                          I vote for a redefinition of terms:  Waterfall becomes sequential.  Agile becomes concurrent.

                          Sequential is a true description of what is considered traditional software development, and is not a pejorative.  Concurrent captures the essential difference of Agile, especially since it requires broad communication and feedback.  (I know you said the heart of agile is creativity, but who’s to say that a sequential process has no creativity?)

                          Mary Poppendieck

                          www.poppendieck.com

                          952-934-7998

                             From: "Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...>" <ken.schwaber@...>

                          Subject: Waterfall and Dr. Winston Royce

                          At recent conferences, especially OOPSLA, I and others in the agile

                          community were taken to task for not learning from history.

                          Specifically, we were castigated for creating a them/us divide

                          between prior delopment processes and agile processes. We were

                          advised that we could only have done this division through ignorance,

                          since the previous efforts contained many of the elements and,

                          perhaps, even the essence of agility.

                          At OOPSLA, we defined the essence of agility as the ability to be

                          creative, to determine the right thing to do and then do it. Other

                          aspects, such as iterations, increments, self-organization,

                          emergence, collaboration were important supports, but without the

                          creativity, agile

                          loses its heart.

                          So, when I was directed to the seminal papers on waterfall, I was

                          quite hopeful to learn from my mistakes. After all, I had

                          implemented numerous waterfall methodologies, including SADM, SSDM,

                          SDM, Navigator, ForeFront, Method/1, and Summit. And none of them

                          were agile or had the attributes of agile. But, I was advised that

                          these were improper implementations of the paper that Dr. Winston

                          Royce published in 1970, which included such agile mechanisms as

                          iterations and complete freedom to move up and down within the

                          waterfall.

                          So I read the paper, "Managing The Development of Large Software

                          Systems" which is available in the Session 9 ISCE ACM archives. Dr.

                          Royce wrote the paper based on his 9 years of experience in

                          spacecraft planning, command and post-flight analysis systems. His

                          first comment was that "analysis and coding" are the essential steps

                          to an development effort "which involve genuinely creative work which

                          directly contributes to the usefulness of the final product." He then

                          goes on to undercut this by saying "Many additional development steps

                          are required, none contribute as directly to the final product as

                          analysis and coding, and all drive up the development costs."

                          Dr. Royce then goes on to describe a very extensive waterfall model

                          for development. Iteration is allowed, but only "iteration with the

                          preceding and succeeding steps (phases) but rarely with more remote

                          steps in the sequence. The virtue of all of this is that as the

                          design proceeds the change process is scope DOWN to manageable

                          limits."

                          Documentation - Dr. Royce, "My own view is quite a lot...the first

                          rule of managing software development is ruthless enforcement of

                          documentation requirements ... Management of software is simply

                          impossible without a very high degree of documentation." Dr. Royce

                          indicates that a 1000 page spec document is appropriate for a $5m

                          project, mostly because "a verbal record is too intangible."

                          Dr Royce's paper brings forth many sound concepts, such as get a

                          formal structure, clear delineration of types of work, and roles.

                          However, his paper is the mother of all waterfalls and the mother of

                          all of the things which agile is intended to remedy. Great for the

                          time, an important step forward, but not appropriate for most

                          applications that I know about at this time.

                          Ken

                        • Adriano Comai
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                            Ken,

                            this is a concrete example of what I mean for "agile".

                            In my opinion, agile means not only small releases and timeboxing, not only
                            frequent feedback, not only creativity and self organization.
                            Yes, in most cases direct communication is better than documentation (to
                            simplify a complex problem).

                            But the core of agility is: given a concrete situation, with concrete
                            constraints (as the presence of existing management reporting practices in
                            an organization), which is the best way to effectiveness, to achieve the
                            success of the project? How to overcome those constraints?

                            We are seldom in ideal situations, where all the agile practices can be used
                            without any constraint (Paul's is certainly one of these non ideal
                            situations). But we must deal with them, in the best realistic way.

                            I think most of "agile" comes simply after "experience". Of what works, of
                            what does not work.
                            Waterfall is simple, and sounds effective to those who have not had the
                            experience of its drawbacks. Now we know it's not effective, after
                            experience. After the experience of 32 years of software development, and of
                            waterfall problems, I guess Winston Royce in 2002 would not write the same
                            paper. (You are anyway right, it's nonsense to say that the 1970 paper from
                            Royce "contained many of the elements and, perhaps, even the essence of
                            agility").

                            Adriano Comai
                            www.analisi-disegno.com

                            [...]
                            > minimize the disruption. For instance, management
                            > reporting. Absolutely a difficult item to tackle. I usually recommend that
                            > existing management reporting be kept totally intact, overhead
                            > and all, and
                            > that Scrum reporting be added to it. During review meetings, review the
                            > "real" progress on the Scrum reports. Eventually, management gets
                            > comfortable with these reports AND the actual progress demonstrated at the
                            > Sprint reviews. But this is a "win them over" not "kill them with
                            > how right
                            > I am" approach. Management is threatened enough by ScrumMaster and them
                            > "helping" the teams rather than telling the teams what to do. And then we
                            > turn them out of their offices and turn the office into a team
                            > design room.
                            > Wow! That's difficult change!
                            > Ken
                          • Adriano Comai
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                              Mary,

                              thank you for this great post. You are able to put new lights upon things.

                              Adriano Comai
                              www.analisi-disegno.com

                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                I think the popularity of waterfall is that everything degrades into
                                waterfall model to some extent.

                                I've only got one brain (and it only works half the time) and I've only
                                got two hands so I just half to do things sequentially.

                                When Boehm first introduced the spiral model (a big step toward agility
                                at the time) it was criticized because one could "unroll the spiral" and
                                be back at waterfall. At an extreme (perhaps at the level of a day or
                                more likely hours) we could say Scrum is a series of waterfall
                                activities:

                                -Meet in the morning and chose work
                                --talk to Product Owner and fill in missing knowledge
                                --design it (in your head perhaps)
                                --code it
                                --unit test
                                --etc.

                                Depending on how you think about it and do it, though, these steps
                                happen hourly, daily, or maybe month-long (the full sprint).

                                Even a fairly extreme shift like Kent Beck's Test-Driven Development is
                                a waterfall to some extent: find a requirement, write a test (that
                                fails), write the code, retest, refactor. All repeated on a scale of
                                minutes.

                                Waterfall retains its popularity because at some level ALL other
                                processes look like a waterfall. I hate the over-used "paradigm shift"
                                but there really is a shift in one's thinking that has to occur before
                                really seeing that yes, of course, things happen "sequentially" but they
                                are also happening all at once. And the feedback from the chaotic events
                                are influencing the activities you're just starting. I've talked with a
                                number of managers about Scrum and they claim to get it and then
                                implement it as a series of waterfall steps. For example, spend the
                                first week of a sprint "refining requirements", then two weeks coding
                                then one week testing.

                                I've actually used this to my advantage in introducing Scrum to groups.
                                If I have a group that thinks they "get it" but are still thinking a
                                little too sequentially I phase Scrum in. We'll start with a
                                "Requirements Capture Sprint" (2-4 weeks). This is just like a regular
                                sprint but we're really after finding out more about requirements. Then
                                we do an "Analysis and Design Sprint" (2-4 weeks). By now the team is
                                getting into the rhythm of sprints and are starting to see
                                self-organization and a little bit of emergence. I stress that they
                                don't need to "finish" requirements capturing or analysis/design during
                                those sprints, just get enough done that they're ready to code. I
                                promise we'll do another Requirements Capture or Analysis and Design
                                sprint later if necessary (it almost never is!). Then we start an
                                Implementation Sprint. Finally, that's the real thing and is pretty much
                                what Scrum is meant to be. By now the team is usually very accustomed to
                                this way of working and the project rhythm is established. We plan to do
                                a couple of Implementation Sprints and then another Analysis & Design
                                Sprint and that gives them comfort. But when something comes up the team
                                usually decides they can handle the analysis/design work within the
                                context of an Implementation (normal) Sprint.

                                This all works because it starts out feeling like there's a waterfall or
                                sequentiality to the work that makes many managers feel comfortable. By
                                the time they notice though the rug is pulled out and they're doing a
                                little requirements, a little design, a little coding, all together at
                                once.

                                --Mike

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                  Mike,

                                  your Scrum introduction strategy is another great example of what I mean for
                                  "agile". A tangible, out-of-experience way to overcome obstacles and
                                  constraints (organizational, cultural) to be effective, to avoid risks and
                                  achieve success.

                                  But. Even if it's true that every iterative process can be unrolled to seem
                                  sequential (if you look at a portion of it with a microscope), obviously the
                                  real difference with waterfall thinking is in that little statement of
                                  yours: "I stress that they don't need to "finish" requirements capturing or

                                • Mike Cohn
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                    Absolutely, Adriano. A problem though is that many people are so used to
                                    thinking that they do need to finish (or get 90% finished) that they are
                                    uncomfortable making a conscious decision to change that way of working.
                                    I used the sprint types to subtly show them that they can move more
                                    toward doing it all simultaneously.

                                  • Martin Fowler
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                      Mike Cohn wrote:
                                      > I think the popularity of waterfall is that everything degrades into
                                      > waterfall model to some extent.

                                      > Even a fairly extreme shift like Kent Beck's Test-Driven Development is
                                      > a waterfall to some extent: find a requirement, write a test (that
                                      > fails), write the code, retest, refactor. All repeated on a scale of
                                      > minutes.

                                      I often say that the only problem with waterfalls is when they are too
                                      large. It's reasonable to kayak the Rogue River, it isn't wise to Kayak
                                      over Niagara Falls

                                      Martin
                                    • Mike Cohn
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                        Great example!

                                        -Mike

                                        > I think the popularity of waterfall is that everything degrades into
                                        > waterfall model to some extent.

                                        > Even a fairly extreme shift like Kent Beck's Test-Driven Development
                                        is
                                        > a waterfall to some extent: find a requirement, write a test (that
                                        > fails), write the code, retest, refactor. All repeated on a scale of
                                        > minutes.

                                        I often say that the only problem with waterfalls is when they are too
                                        large. It's reasonable to kayak the Rogue River, it isn't wise to Kayak
                                        over Niagara Falls

                                        Martin

                                        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                      • Robert Henley
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                          Martin Fowler wrote:

                                          > I often say that the only problem with waterfalls is when they are too
                                          > large. It's reasonable to kayak the Rogue River, it isn't wise to Kayak
                                          > over Niagara Falls

                                          Which is exactly the point of lean production: small lot sizes work better.
                                          And an excellent example; I laughed out loud. Thank you!
                                          Robert Henley
                                          Software Architect & Engineer
                                        • Kevin McIntosh
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 15, 2002
                                            I'm sure you couldn't convince this guy that going over Niagara Falls is such a bad idea...

                                            http://www.taoberman.com/ <---- Nothing to do with PM.

                                            -Kevin.