Re: [scrumdevelopment] Waterfall and Dr. Winston Royce

  • David J. Anderson
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
      What would $5MM be in today's money? My guess is
      around $150MM.

      I'd say a 1000 page specification for a $150MM project
      would be decidedly agile.

      David
      --
      David Anderson
      http://www.uidesign.net/

      --- "Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...>"
      <ken.schwaber@...> wrote:

      Documentation - Dr. Royce, "My own view is quite a
      lot...the first
      rule of managing software development is ruthless
      enforcement of
      documentation requirements ... Management of software
      is simply
      impossible without a very high degree of
      documentation." Dr. Royce
      indicates that a 1000 page spec document is
      appropriate for a $5m
      project, mostly because "a verbal record is too
      intangible."

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Ken Schwaber
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
        Let's see. In 1970 I was being paid $12,000 a year by the University of
        Chicago. At the same markup (factor of 30), I should be making $360,000 per
        year. Who wants to contribute to the cause??
        Ken

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
          According to http://woodrow.mpls.frb.fed.us/research/data/us/calc/

          $5 million in 1970 is $23M today
          and
          Ken should be making $55,515 a year.

          --Mike

          <ken.schwaber@...> wrote:

          Documentation - Dr. Royce, "My own view is quite a
          lot...the first
          rule of managing software development is ruthless
          enforcement of
          documentation requirements ... Management of software
          is simply
          impossible without a very high degree of
          documentation." Dr. Royce
          indicates that a 1000 page spec document is
          appropriate for a $5m
          project, mostly because "a verbal record is too
          intangible."

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
            Great. Where do I apply?
            Ken

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
              Kidding aside, what is the real take on the 1000 page
              spec?
              Dr. Royce said a 1000 page spec is appropriate and
              David said it's reasonable, but isn't this totally
              wrong approach to agile?
              Why spec so much?
              I loathe the waterfall methodology. We have one
              manager trying to push it at my company. He's winning
              the battle.

              =====
              ==Paul

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • Ken Schwaber
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
                Whenever documentation is used instead of face-to-face communication, it is
                a chance for misunderstanding and failure to communicate. Nobody writes or
                models precisely enough to include all possible details, and there is the
                chance for moving forward incorrectly. Not to mention the wasted effort
                writing something that is going to go out of date the moment the first
                change comes in (unless you prohibit changes, not always a good idea with
                changing requirements and complex technology). So the only documentation
                that I like is work-in-progress, used to think through an idea,
                documentation UNLESS the documentation will be used by others to create a
                vision (marketing), operate the system, or user documentation. 1000 pages of
                spec is just asking for trouble.
                Ken

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
                  Still kidding for a moment - 1000 pages for a $23MM
                  project would still be OK.

                  Now to deal with the real beast of Waterfall and why
                  it remains popular.

                  I think it is to do with two things - a tangible way
                  to declare progress - and related to this a way for
                  accounts to show added value - some countries allow
                  the capitalization of development work in their
                  standard and acceptable accounting practices.

                  The 2nd one creates a macro problem for managers -
                  they can have financial constraints or controls
                  imposed which make Waterfall optimal for solving the
                  problem of meeting their numbers. This would be hard
                  to overcome - maybe impossible in a big company -
                  Fortune 500.

                  The first one is really to do with how acceptable the
                  management finds reporting methods. I think that
                  getting out of the waterfall model can be overcome
                  with learning. For example, if in Scrum you could
                  build consensus that reporting on the burn down chart
                  of tasks for a project (or as Ken does in the book)
                  report the hours remaining then this may be
                  acceptable.

                  It occurs to me that the hours remaining against the
                  hours spent may be a suitable solution to the
                  financial problem too.

                  Developers get asked to fill out timesheets becuase of
                  management accounting methods such as Activity Based
                  Costing. If Scrum's time remaining (and time spent)
                  charts were enough for management then the Waterfall
                  thinking would be broken.

                  In my experience, getting people to buy-off on new
                  ways of reporting progress is very hard - very hard
                  indeed.

                  David

                  --- Paul <horked_noodle@...> wrote:

                  <HR>

                  <tt>
                  Kidding aside, what is the real take on the 1000
                  page<BR>
                  spec?<BR>
                  Dr. Royce said a 1000 page spec is appropriate and<BR>
                  David said it's reasonable, but isn't this totally<BR>
                  wrong approach to agile?<BR>
                  Why spec so much?<BR>
                  I loathe the waterfall methodology.  We have
                  one<BR>
                  manager trying to push it at my company.  He's
                  winning<BR>
                  the battle.<BR>
                  <BR>
                  --- Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...>
                  wrote:<BR>
                  > Great. Where do I apply?<BR>
                  > Ken<BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > -----Original Message-----<BR>
                  Dr.<BR>
                  > Winston Royce<BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > According to<BR>
                  ><BR>
                  <a
                  href="http://woodrow.mpls.frb.fed.us/research/data/us/calc/">http://woodrow.mpls.frb.fed.us/research/data/us/calc/</a><BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > $5 million in 1970 is $23M today<BR>
                  > and<BR>
                  > Ken should be making $55,515 a year.<BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > --Mike<BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > -----Original Message-----<BR>
                  $150MM<BR>
                  href="http://www.uidesign.net/">http://www.uidesign.net/</a><BR>
                  <ken.schwaber@...>"<BR>

                  href="http://mailplus.yahoo.com">http://mailplus.yahoo.com</a><BR>
                  href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a><BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > scrumdevelopment@...<BR>
                  > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:<BR>
                  > scrumdevelopment-unsubscribe@...<BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to<BR>
                  > <a
                  href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a><BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > scrumdevelopment@...<BR>
                  > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:<BR>
                  > scrumdevelopment-unsubscribe@...<BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to<BR>
                  > <a
                  href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a><BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > <BR>
                  > <BR>
                  <BR>
                  =====<BR>
                  ==Paul<BR>
                  <BR>
                  Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up
                  now.<BR>
                  <a
                  href="http://mailplus.yahoo.com">http://mailplus.yahoo.com</a><BR>
                  </tt>

                  <tt>
                  scrumdevelopment@...<BR>

                  <tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
                  href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms
                  of Service</a>.</tt>

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Mike Cohn
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
                    I suspect documentation would be critical to a $23M project and that
                    it's easy to see how 1000 pages of *documents* get produced. However,
                    I'm talking about after-the-fact documents not upfront specs. On a
                    project of that size there are going to be many groups each proceeding
                    in their own agile way (we hope) but all the work of all teams (and all
                    500 programmers) will not get "continuously integrated" into one unit.
                    There will be some after the fact documents written ("here's how to use
                    the API we discussed") and such.

                    Alistair Cockburn really helped me see the light about Ken's point below
                    that face-to-face communication is so much better than written. I
                    actually like written communication--it's nice and safe, easy to archive
                    and prove what was agreed to. However, face to face communication is
                    multi-modal: you've got the words, the person's body language, the tone
                    of voice, timing, etc. It's also bidirectional--You are giving me
                    feedback as I speak (should I speed up because you get my point? Go over
                    it in more detail? Etc) I think about the first distributed team I
                    managed and how I had to beg them to stop sending email and pick up the
                    phone because things were getting misinterpreted. The two groups came
                    together via an acquisition and they hated each other (prior companies
                    were competitors). The slight misstep in an email turned ugly fast. That
                    never happened when the individuals met in person or even via phone.
                    Think about how hard it is to get across things like sarcasm in an email
                    (or any written document) and you want to stick with face-to-face after
                    that.

                    I don't think there's a hard number of pages we can point to and say
                    "that's no longer agile".

                    Here's an interesting bit of math though that shows that if the $23
                    million project was managed via Scrum it could end up with 1000 pages.
                    Let's assume 200 people on the project for 12 months. 200 people would
                    be roughly 25 scrum teams. Each month each scrum team produces a sprint
                    backlog (a list of "requirements" they'll fulfill that sprint). That's
                    13 sprints/year times 25 teams or 325 individual sprints. If each sprint
                    kept it's sprint backlog (for any of a variety of reasons) and one page
                    summarizing the results of the sprint and one other page we'd have 975
                    pages!!

                    -Mike

                    1 page x 100 x 12

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
                      Well, I plan to attempt it. I'll definatly need help
                      from you guys. I do work for a fortune 500 company.
                      Our ways are bad for the new economy.
                      My last position there the manager had a waterfall
                      dream, and just kept pushing more documenting and more
                      docmenting until I got fed up and left. There had to
                      be documentation for HTML web pages. I really like
                      the point of documentation as a tool for the team to
                      do it's work, and nothing more. But the QA dept.
                      wanted to put them in nice binders on the shelf so
                      that any time a program was changed, the corresponding
                      documentation would also need changed and refiled in
                      the binders. After pulling out most of my hair, I had
                      to leave the department.

                      I think agile is the way and I am aiming at using it
                      or being fired.

                      -- Paul

                      --- "David J. Anderson" <netherby_uk@...>

                      === message truncated ===

                      =====
                      ==Paul

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • Mike Cohn
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
                        Good luck with the change, Paul.

                        There is a lot of material at www.agilealliance.com/articles that can
                        help. There are articles on transitioning and there are case studies and
                        background materials on all the agile processes. Naturally, my
                        preference is Scrum but the other processes are sometimes a better fit
                        (e.g., FDD if you're group likes UML, DSDM if they're prototyping fans).

                        There are plenty of others pushing for similar changes within their
                        organizations. Just let us know of anything specific we can do to help
                        you sell the change and make the transition.

                        -Mike

                        wrote:
                        > Still kidding for a moment - 1000 pages for a $23MM
                        > project would still be OK.
                        >
                        > Now to deal with the real beast of Waterfall and why
                        > it remains popular.
                        >
                        > I think it is to do with two things - a tangible way
                        > to declare progress - and related to this a way for
                        > accounts to show added value - some countries allow
                        > the capitalization of development work in their
                        > standard and acceptable accounting practices.
                        >
                        > The 2nd one creates a macro problem for managers -
                        > they can have financial constraints or controls
                        > imposed which make Waterfall optimal for solving the
                        > problem of meeting their numbers. This would be hard
                        > to overcome - maybe impossible in a big company -
                        > Fortune 500.
                        >
                        > The first one is really to do with how acceptable
                        > the
                        > management finds reporting methods. I think that
                        > getting out of the waterfall model can be overcome
                        > with learning. For example, if in Scrum you could
                        > build consensus that reporting on the burn down
                        > chart
                        > of tasks for a project (or as Ken does in the book)
                        > report the hours remaining then this may be
                        > acceptable.
                        >
                        > It occurs to me that the hours remaining against the
                        > hours spent may be a suitable solution to the
                        > financial problem too.
                        >
                        > Developers get asked to fill out timesheets becuase
                        > of
                        > management accounting methods such as Activity Based
                        > Costing. If Scrum's time remaining (and time spent)
                        > charts were enough for management then the Waterfall
                        > thinking would be broken.
                        >
                        > In my experience, getting people to buy-off on new
                        > ways of reporting progress is very hard - very hard
                        > indeed.
                        >
                        > David
                        >

                        > --- Paul <horked_noodle@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > <HR>
                        >

                        > <tt>
                        > Kidding aside, what is the real take on the 1000
                        > page<BR>
                        > spec?<BR>
                        > Dr. Royce said a 1000 page spec is appropriate
                        > and<BR>
                        > David said it's reasonable, but isn't this
                        > totally<BR>
                        > wrong approach to agile?<BR>
                        > Why spec so much?<BR>
                        > I loathe the waterfall methodology.  We have
                        > one<BR>
                        > manager trying to push it at my company.  He's
                        > winning<BR>
                        > the battle.<BR>
                        > <BR>
                        > --- Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...>
                        > wrote:<BR>
                        > > Great. Where do I apply?<BR>
                        > > Ken<BR>
                        > > <BR>
                        > > -----Original Message-----<BR>

                        === message truncated ===

                        =====
                        ==Paul

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
                          Paul,
                          Let the group know where you're located and maybe someone can come in and
                          help you, such as give a presentation, talk throught the benefits and
                          implementation details, minimize the disruption. For instance, management
                          reporting. Absolutely a difficult item to tackle. I usually recommend that
                          existing management reporting be kept totally intact, overhead and all, and
                          that Scrum reporting be added to it. During review meetings, review the
                          "real" progress on the Scrum reports. Eventually, management gets
                          comfortable with these reports AND the actual progress demonstrated at the
                          Sprint reviews. But this is a "win them over" not "kill them with how right
                          I am" approach. Management is threatened enough by ScrumMaster and them
                          "helping" the teams rather than telling the teams what to do. And then we
                          turn them out of their offices and turn the office into a team design room.
                          Wow! That's difficult change!
                          Ken

                          wrote:
                          > Still kidding for a moment - 1000 pages for a $23MM
                          > project would still be OK.
                          >
                          > Now to deal with the real beast of Waterfall and why
                          > it remains popular.
                          >
                          > I think it is to do with two things - a tangible way
                          > to declare progress - and related to this a way for
                          > accounts to show added value - some countries allow
                          > the capitalization of development work in their
                          > standard and acceptable accounting practices.
                          >
                          > The 2nd one creates a macro problem for managers -
                          > they can have financial constraints or controls
                          > imposed which make Waterfall optimal for solving the
                          > problem of meeting their numbers. This would be hard
                          > to overcome - maybe impossible in a big company -
                          > Fortune 500.
                          >
                          > The first one is really to do with how acceptable
                          > the
                          > management finds reporting methods. I think that
                          > getting out of the waterfall model can be overcome
                          > with learning. For example, if in Scrum you could
                          > build consensus that reporting on the burn down
                          > chart
                          > of tasks for a project (or as Ken does in the book)
                          > report the hours remaining then this may be
                          > acceptable.
                          >
                          > It occurs to me that the hours remaining against the
                          > hours spent may be a suitable solution to the
                          > financial problem too.
                          >
                          > Developers get asked to fill out timesheets becuase
                          > of
                          > management accounting methods such as Activity Based
                          > Costing. If Scrum's time remaining (and time spent)
                          > charts were enough for management then the Waterfall
                          > thinking would be broken.
                          >
                          > In my experience, getting people to buy-off on new
                          > ways of reporting progress is very hard - very hard
                          > indeed.
                          >
                          > David
                          >

                          > --- Paul <horked_noodle@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > <HR>
                          >

                          > <tt>
                          > Kidding aside, what is the real take on the 1000
                          > page<BR>
                          > spec?<BR>
                          > Dr. Royce said a 1000 page spec is appropriate
                          > and<BR>
                          > David said it's reasonable, but isn't this
                          > totally<BR>
                          > wrong approach to agile?<BR>
                          > Why spec so much?<BR>
                          > I loathe the waterfall methodology.  We have
                          > one<BR>
                          > manager trying to push it at my company.  He's
                          > winning<BR>
                          > the battle.<BR>
                          > <BR>
                          > --- Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...>
                          > wrote:<BR>
                          > > Great. Where do I apply?<BR>
                          > > Ken<BR>
                          > > <BR>
                          > > -----Original Message-----<BR>

                          === message truncated ===

                          =====
                          ==Paul

                        • Mike Beedle
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
                            --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:
                            Mike Cohn wrote:
                            Here's an interesting bit of math though that shows
                            that if the $23<BR>
                            million project was managed via Scrum it could end up
                            with 1000 pages.<BR>
                            Let's assume 200 people on the project for 12 months.
                            200 people would<BR>
                            be roughly 25 scrum teams. Each month each scrum team
                            produces a sprint<BR>
                            backlog (a list of "requirements" they'll
                            fulfill that sprint). That's<BR>
                            13 sprints/year times 25 teams or 325 individual
                            sprints. If each sprint<BR>
                            kept it's sprint backlog (for any of a variety of
                            reasons) and one page<BR>
                            summarizing the results of the sprint and one other
                            page we'd have 975<BR>
                            pages!!<BR>
                            <BR>
                            -Mike<BR>
                            <BR>
                            1 page x 100 x 12<BR>
                            <BR>

                            Mike:

                            Ah, but there is a difference on _how_ the "Scrum
                            1000 page requirements document" was put together;
                            and in turn, _how_ the software was put togehter;
                            because it was as _evolved_, _reprioritized_,
                            _tested_, _integrated_, and _developed iteratively_
                            through customer feedback while ensuring the comfort
                            of the developers.

                            To be able to do that you need:

                            - short time-boxing
                            - constant people interactions
                            - shared values than promote cooperation
                            - self-organizing behavior
                            - constant learning
                            - knowledge sharing
                            - a license to do research and be creative
                            - etc.
                            - (and all of the other things that synergistically
                            contribute to create a true agile environment)

                            Yes, I know -- I am preaching to the choir, I just
                            want
                            to underline that the _how_ is perhaps very important,

                            - Mike
                          • Mike Cohn
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002
                              Absolutely, Absolutly!

                              And even using the example I gave we'd only get 75 pages of paper per
                              month for a 200 person "team."

                              -Mike

                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 12, 2002

                                Ken,

                                Although I agree that Winston Royce’s paper doesn’t describe an Agile process of today, I think it is not such a bad paper if you take into consideration the following:

                                1.       In figure 7, Royce proposes an early ‘simulation’ done by a small skilled team, to prove the concept.  Thus he says that a complete iteration through, testing and usage, is the most appropriate form of feedback.  He notes that going only one level up is not adequate.

                                2.       I certainly disagree with Royce on the usefulness of the extensive documentation he recommends.  But note – you can substitute tests for most of Royce’s documentation, and if you do this, the paper is not so bad.  Royce didn’t have access to the testing capability we do today, but if he did, I’ll bet most of his documentation would be changed tests in a 2003 paper.

                                3.       At least Royce admits that everything besides analysis and coding is waste. How many people have been insulted when I called all that other stuff waste!  Now I can quote Royce at them and have someone with real credibility back me up.

                                I have a suggestion that comes from product development.  In the 1980’s, product development in the US was decidedly sequential.  Nobody had a clue how to do it any other way.  You’ve got to excuse the software development writers of the time for their sequential bias – it was everywhere (in this country anyway).

                                In the late 1980’s, Kim Clark studied the product development practices of automakers world-wide.  The results are in his book “Product Development Performance” (1991) and Womack’s book “The Machine that Changed the World,” (1990). They noted that Japanese product development practices saved 1/3 in development time and 1/2 the development effort, and resulted in better products – consistently, across the industry.  They called Japanese practices concurrent development.  Most US automobile companies have moved from sequential to concurrent product development, as have many other companies.

                                Clark points out that the fundamental difference between sequential and concurrent development is the information flow between people.  It is high bandwidth, bi-directional, and concurrent (ie, information gets transferred as soon as design starts, not when its done).  The feedback provided by this approach is enormous, and accounts for the large, consistent improvement in performance.

                                I vote for a redefinition of terms:  Waterfall becomes sequential.  Agile becomes concurrent.

                                Sequential is a true description of what is considered traditional software development, and is not a pejorative.  Concurrent captures the essential difference of Agile, especially since it requires broad communication and feedback.  (I know you said the heart of agile is creativity, but who’s to say that a sequential process has no creativity?)

                                Mary Poppendieck

                                www.poppendieck.com

                                952-934-7998

                                   From: "Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...>" <ken.schwaber@...>

                                Subject: Waterfall and Dr. Winston Royce

                                At recent conferences, especially OOPSLA, I and others in the agile

                                community were taken to task for not learning from history.

                                Specifically, we were castigated for creating a them/us divide

                                between prior delopment processes and agile processes. We were

                                advised that we could only have done this division through ignorance,

                                since the previous efforts contained many of the elements and,

                                perhaps, even the essence of agility.

                                At OOPSLA, we defined the essence of agility as the ability to be

                                creative, to determine the right thing to do and then do it. Other

                                aspects, such as iterations, increments, self-organization,

                                emergence, collaboration were important supports, but without the

                                creativity, agile

                                loses its heart.

                                So, when I was directed to the seminal papers on waterfall, I was

                                quite hopeful to learn from my mistakes. After all, I had

                                implemented numerous waterfall methodologies, including SADM, SSDM,

                                SDM, Navigator, ForeFront, Method/1, and Summit. And none of them

                                were agile or had the attributes of agile. But, I was advised that

                                these were improper implementations of the paper that Dr. Winston

                                Royce published in 1970, which included such agile mechanisms as

                                iterations and complete freedom to move up and down within the

                                waterfall.

                                So I read the paper, "Managing The Development of Large Software

                                Systems" which is available in the Session 9 ISCE ACM archives. Dr.

                                Royce wrote the paper based on his 9 years of experience in

                                spacecraft planning, command and post-flight analysis systems. His

                                first comment was that "analysis and coding" are the essential steps

                                to an development effort "which involve genuinely creative work which

                                directly contributes to the usefulness of the final product." He then

                                goes on to undercut this by saying "Many additional development steps

                                are required, none contribute as directly to the final product as

                                analysis and coding, and all drive up the development costs."

                                Dr. Royce then goes on to describe a very extensive waterfall model

                                for development. Iteration is allowed, but only "iteration with the

                                preceding and succeeding steps (phases) but rarely with more remote

                                steps in the sequence. The virtue of all of this is that as the

                                design proceeds the change process is scope DOWN to manageable

                                limits."

                                Documentation - Dr. Royce, "My own view is quite a lot...the first

                                rule of managing software development is ruthless enforcement of

                                documentation requirements ... Management of software is simply

                                impossible without a very high degree of documentation." Dr. Royce

                                indicates that a 1000 page spec document is appropriate for a $5m

                                project, mostly because "a verbal record is too intangible."

                                Dr Royce's paper brings forth many sound concepts, such as get a

                                formal structure, clear delineration of types of work, and roles.

                                However, his paper is the mother of all waterfalls and the mother of

                                all of the things which agile is intended to remedy. Great for the

                                time, an important step forward, but not appropriate for most

                                applications that I know about at this time.

                                Ken

                              • Adriano Comai
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                  Ken,

                                  this is a concrete example of what I mean for "agile".

                                  In my opinion, agile means not only small releases and timeboxing, not only
                                  frequent feedback, not only creativity and self organization.
                                  Yes, in most cases direct communication is better than documentation (to
                                  simplify a complex problem).

                                  But the core of agility is: given a concrete situation, with concrete
                                  constraints (as the presence of existing management reporting practices in
                                  an organization), which is the best way to effectiveness, to achieve the
                                  success of the project? How to overcome those constraints?

                                  We are seldom in ideal situations, where all the agile practices can be used
                                  without any constraint (Paul's is certainly one of these non ideal
                                  situations). But we must deal with them, in the best realistic way.

                                  I think most of "agile" comes simply after "experience". Of what works, of
                                  what does not work.
                                  Waterfall is simple, and sounds effective to those who have not had the
                                  experience of its drawbacks. Now we know it's not effective, after
                                  experience. After the experience of 32 years of software development, and of
                                  waterfall problems, I guess Winston Royce in 2002 would not write the same
                                  paper. (You are anyway right, it's nonsense to say that the 1970 paper from
                                  Royce "contained many of the elements and, perhaps, even the essence of
                                  agility").

                                  Adriano Comai
                                  www.analisi-disegno.com

                                  [...]
                                  > minimize the disruption. For instance, management
                                  > reporting. Absolutely a difficult item to tackle. I usually recommend that
                                  > existing management reporting be kept totally intact, overhead
                                  > and all, and
                                  > that Scrum reporting be added to it. During review meetings, review the
                                  > "real" progress on the Scrum reports. Eventually, management gets
                                  > comfortable with these reports AND the actual progress demonstrated at the
                                  > Sprint reviews. But this is a "win them over" not "kill them with
                                  > how right
                                  > I am" approach. Management is threatened enough by ScrumMaster and them
                                  > "helping" the teams rather than telling the teams what to do. And then we
                                  > turn them out of their offices and turn the office into a team
                                  > design room.
                                  > Wow! That's difficult change!
                                  > Ken
                                • Adriano Comai
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                    Mary,

                                    thank you for this great post. You are able to put new lights upon things.

                                    Adriano Comai
                                    www.analisi-disegno.com

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                      I think the popularity of waterfall is that everything degrades into
                                      waterfall model to some extent.

                                      I've only got one brain (and it only works half the time) and I've only
                                      got two hands so I just half to do things sequentially.

                                      When Boehm first introduced the spiral model (a big step toward agility
                                      at the time) it was criticized because one could "unroll the spiral" and
                                      be back at waterfall. At an extreme (perhaps at the level of a day or
                                      more likely hours) we could say Scrum is a series of waterfall
                                      activities:

                                      -Meet in the morning and chose work
                                      --talk to Product Owner and fill in missing knowledge
                                      --design it (in your head perhaps)
                                      --code it
                                      --unit test
                                      --etc.

                                      Depending on how you think about it and do it, though, these steps
                                      happen hourly, daily, or maybe month-long (the full sprint).

                                      Even a fairly extreme shift like Kent Beck's Test-Driven Development is
                                      a waterfall to some extent: find a requirement, write a test (that
                                      fails), write the code, retest, refactor. All repeated on a scale of
                                      minutes.

                                      Waterfall retains its popularity because at some level ALL other
                                      processes look like a waterfall. I hate the over-used "paradigm shift"
                                      but there really is a shift in one's thinking that has to occur before
                                      really seeing that yes, of course, things happen "sequentially" but they
                                      are also happening all at once. And the feedback from the chaotic events
                                      are influencing the activities you're just starting. I've talked with a
                                      number of managers about Scrum and they claim to get it and then
                                      implement it as a series of waterfall steps. For example, spend the
                                      first week of a sprint "refining requirements", then two weeks coding
                                      then one week testing.

                                      I've actually used this to my advantage in introducing Scrum to groups.
                                      If I have a group that thinks they "get it" but are still thinking a
                                      little too sequentially I phase Scrum in. We'll start with a
                                      "Requirements Capture Sprint" (2-4 weeks). This is just like a regular
                                      sprint but we're really after finding out more about requirements. Then
                                      we do an "Analysis and Design Sprint" (2-4 weeks). By now the team is
                                      getting into the rhythm of sprints and are starting to see
                                      self-organization and a little bit of emergence. I stress that they
                                      don't need to "finish" requirements capturing or analysis/design during
                                      those sprints, just get enough done that they're ready to code. I
                                      promise we'll do another Requirements Capture or Analysis and Design
                                      sprint later if necessary (it almost never is!). Then we start an
                                      Implementation Sprint. Finally, that's the real thing and is pretty much
                                      what Scrum is meant to be. By now the team is usually very accustomed to
                                      this way of working and the project rhythm is established. We plan to do
                                      a couple of Implementation Sprints and then another Analysis & Design
                                      Sprint and that gives them comfort. But when something comes up the team
                                      usually decides they can handle the analysis/design work within the
                                      context of an Implementation (normal) Sprint.

                                      This all works because it starts out feeling like there's a waterfall or
                                      sequentiality to the work that makes many managers feel comfortable. By
                                      the time they notice though the rug is pulled out and they're doing a
                                      little requirements, a little design, a little coding, all together at
                                      once.

                                      --Mike

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                        Mike,

                                        your Scrum introduction strategy is another great example of what I mean for
                                        "agile". A tangible, out-of-experience way to overcome obstacles and
                                        constraints (organizational, cultural) to be effective, to avoid risks and
                                        achieve success.

                                        But. Even if it's true that every iterative process can be unrolled to seem
                                        sequential (if you look at a portion of it with a microscope), obviously the
                                        real difference with waterfall thinking is in that little statement of
                                        yours: "I stress that they don't need to "finish" requirements capturing or

                                      • Mike Cohn
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                          Absolutely, Adriano. A problem though is that many people are so used to
                                          thinking that they do need to finish (or get 90% finished) that they are
                                          uncomfortable making a conscious decision to change that way of working.
                                          I used the sprint types to subtly show them that they can move more
                                          toward doing it all simultaneously.

                                        • Martin Fowler
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                            Mike Cohn wrote:
                                            > I think the popularity of waterfall is that everything degrades into
                                            > waterfall model to some extent.

                                            > Even a fairly extreme shift like Kent Beck's Test-Driven Development is
                                            > a waterfall to some extent: find a requirement, write a test (that
                                            > fails), write the code, retest, refactor. All repeated on a scale of
                                            > minutes.

                                            I often say that the only problem with waterfalls is when they are too
                                            large. It's reasonable to kayak the Rogue River, it isn't wise to Kayak
                                            over Niagara Falls

                                            Martin
                                          • Mike Cohn
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                              Great example!

                                              -Mike

                                              > I think the popularity of waterfall is that everything degrades into
                                              > waterfall model to some extent.

                                              > Even a fairly extreme shift like Kent Beck's Test-Driven Development
                                              is
                                              > a waterfall to some extent: find a requirement, write a test (that
                                              > fails), write the code, retest, refactor. All repeated on a scale of
                                              > minutes.

                                              I often say that the only problem with waterfalls is when they are too
                                              large. It's reasonable to kayak the Rogue River, it isn't wise to Kayak
                                              over Niagara Falls

                                              Martin

                                              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                            • Robert Henley
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 14, 2002
                                                Martin Fowler wrote:

                                                > I often say that the only problem with waterfalls is when they are too
                                                > large. It's reasonable to kayak the Rogue River, it isn't wise to Kayak
                                                > over Niagara Falls

                                                Which is exactly the point of lean production: small lot sizes work better.
                                                And an excellent example; I laughed out loud. Thank you!
                                                Robert Henley
                                                Software Architect & Engineer
                                              • Kevin McIntosh
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Dec 15, 2002
                                                  I'm sure you couldn't convince this guy that going over Niagara Falls is such a bad idea...

                                                  http://www.taoberman.com/ <---- Nothing to do with PM.

                                                  -Kevin.