Professional Process

  • ken schwaber
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2001
      Having spent some time reviewing the Rational Unified Process (RUP), I've been impressed. It thoroughly describes how to build software systems using UML and the full set of tools from Rational, including version control, testing, and modeling products.

      Also, this exercise has helped me further understand the distinction between Scrum and RUP.

      RUP can be classified as an Academic Process.  With all of its detail, it is appropriate for teaching new software engineers the proper way to build software.  Once they learn all the ins and outs in RUP, they are ready to start making tradeoff's and manage themselves without jeopardizing quality.

      Scrum can be classified as a Professional Process.  Scrum presumes that most of the team members are qualified software engineers who understand most of the stuff presented in RUP.  Scrum helps them organize their work and get it done.  More like an adaptive, empirical project management process, with www.scrumonline.com as the project management tool.

      I recently tried to use Scrum with a group of engineers who - although .com bright, weren't software engineers (although they thought that they were).  Many troubles.  RUP would have been far more appropriate, because they would have been guided through all of the appropriate steps.  However, the product would have never made it to market on time.  Which leads to the conclusion ... use RUP (and like Academic Methodologies) for training purposes, but use Scrum and professional software engineers to build products.

      Ken Schwaber