Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum in a fixed-cost environment

  • Neil Padgen
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2002
      On Wednesday 27 November 2002 7:49 pm, Hubert Smits wrote:
      > Neil,
      >
      > Why isn't the writing of these specs done in a sprint? That would
      > give the participants in the sprint (specially those who have to
      > estimate the fixed price part) a much better steer on the results
      > they require.

      Don't think that will work here. Our setup here is that funding is
      only granted for a project once the specs have all been written and
      signed off. As a team we don't write the specs, but we're trying to
      get more involvement in their preparation than we currently have.

      Ken's suggestion of using the specs as detailed product backlog is the
      most likely to apply here. The project managers raised the point
      that if time or money runs out then something has to give. If we can
      get them to put priorities into the specs, then everyone will be
      aware at the start of the project what will be implemented and what
      might not be. And of course the backlog can be reprioritised at the
      Sprint Review and Sprint Planning meetings.

      -- Neil

      BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

      stated.
      signify your consent to this.
    • David J. Anderson
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2002
        I thought this list might be interested in the new
        community website for Feature Driven Development which
        Jeff De Luca has recently started.

        http://www.featuredrivendevelopment.com/

        I'd like to see more written comparing FDD and Scrum -
        there are lots of similarities (and differences too)

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com