FW: [scrumdevelopment] The Ultimate Software Development Office Layout

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2005

      Todd,

      Nice write-up.  BullPen is definitely an agile pattern.  (A few hundreds emails ago, I wrote it

      in pattern format to this group.)

      I agree with most everything, but I have a point on this one:

      Arrange desktops so people are not looking directly at each other.

      Over they years, in our BullPen, we have tried it both facing away and facing to each other.

      But we definitely like it better facing to each other.  For once, it is easier to look over your

      Our laptops and have a Daily Scrum, a round-table discussion, or be in a conference call, etc.

      There is also something about looking at people’s faces and their eyes when you talk…

      it builds trust and respect, specially when you are either telling what you did, or promising what

      you will do, (as in the Daily Scrums),

      - Mike

      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2005
        Mike Beedle wrote:

        > I agree with most everything, but I have a point on this one:
        >
        > Arrange desktops so people are not looking directly at each other.
        >
        > Over they years, in our BullPen, we have tried it both facing away and
        > facing to each other.
        >

        > But we definitely like it better facing to each other. For once, it
        > is easier to look over your
        >
        > Our laptops and have a Daily Scrum, a round-table discussion, or be in
        > a conference call, etc.

        Thanks, I'll add that in.

        By facing away do you mean backs to each other? I think the idea was
        more to have people offset so when they look ahead directly they don't
        see each other, but could see each other by turning either direction. Do
        you do that or something else?
      • Mike Beedle
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2005

          Todd,

          We sit around a large squared table, so we do face each other directly but because the table is

          large this has not been a problem.  But I get your point now about having people at an offset

          angle – I can see how this could be distracting in smaller tables,

          - Mike