Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile for Run-of-the-Mill Software Upgrade

  • William Wake
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3 5:10 PM
      On 5/3/05, Gannon, Terry <tcgannon@...> wrote:
      > I was curious to know if anybody has any experience in this area,
      > particularly when it comes to expressing the business value of said upgrade.
      > It looks like purely non-functional requirement type stuff, which
      > theoretically means you need to marry to a functional requirement in order
      > to justify the value of the ugrade to the business.

      Terry -

      While it might be easier to explain a new feature to a typical
      end-user, the business can certainly value non-functional benefits. I
      wouldn't feel I had to "marry" them if the business as a whole is
      comfortable otherwise.

      For example:
      - performance improvements - (ok, users like these too:)
      - stability improvements -> less down-time
      - staying near current release -> better vendor support (you don't get
      told to first upgrade every time you hit a bug)
      - architectural improvements e.g., redundancy may lower risk of down-time
      - re-structuring -> may make future requirements cheaper to implement
      - security improvements -> less risk to business

      I wish I didn't need to spend a chunk of my money on car upkeep or
      insurance. But I accept them as they lower my overall cost of
      transportation. Businesses face the same thing with software.

      (This is all to say I want the product owner to understand their real
      costs and benefits. When all is said and done, they may decide they'd
      like to mix functional & non-functional things to make an attractive
      package for purchasers and/or users, and that's ok.)

      Bill Wake William.Wake@... www.xp123.com
    • Mike Dwyer
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3 5:57 PM
        Message

        Terry the management of released software is an ideal area for Scrum/Agile techniques.

        The business value of an upgrade comes from the business reason(s) that justified it approval.  The Product Owner (Accounting Manager) plays the same role as a decision  maker that prioritizes the changes (it is not a bad idea to have user stories or their equivalent associated with the changes), accepts the work and is there to respond to developer questions.   Now when you say the changes are ‘non functional’ am I to assume the upgrade changes nothing in the external interface with either the users or system/application/data interfaces.

        Let us know.

        Michael F. Dwyer

        Mike.Dwyer1@...