RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum in a fixed-cost environment

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2002
      I worked with an organization that just couldn't get the "business analysis"
      group into the Scrum thing, even though I pointed out the number of defects,
      limited communication, etc. that was caused by analyzing, writing, reading
      the analysis and trying to figure it out, then designing, coding and
      testing. We used the specs as detailed product backlog, and eventually the
      business analysts joined in, since we needed them to interpret their
      writings anyway.
      Ken

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 28, 2002
        On Wednesday 27 November 2002 7:49 pm, Hubert Smits wrote:
        > Neil,
        >
        > Why isn't the writing of these specs done in a sprint? That would
        > give the participants in the sprint (specially those who have to
        > estimate the fixed price part) a much better steer on the results
        > they require.

        Don't think that will work here. Our setup here is that funding is
        only granted for a project once the specs have all been written and
        signed off. As a team we don't write the specs, but we're trying to
        get more involvement in their preparation than we currently have.

        Ken's suggestion of using the specs as detailed product backlog is the
        most likely to apply here. The project managers raised the point
        that if time or money runs out then something has to give. If we can
        get them to put priorities into the specs, then everyone will be
        aware at the start of the project what will be implemented and what
        might not be. And of course the backlog can be reprioritised at the
        Sprint Review and Sprint Planning meetings.

        -- Neil

        BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

        stated.
        signify your consent to this.
      • David J. Anderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2002
          I thought this list might be interested in the new
          community website for Feature Driven Development which
          Jeff De Luca has recently started.

          http://www.featuredrivendevelopment.com/

          I'd like to see more written comparing FDD and Scrum -
          there are lots of similarities (and differences too)

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com