Performance Reviews & Scrum

  • clintonnkeith
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2005
      I'd like to get advice on moving implementing a more Agile oriented
      employee review process.

      We're approaching our first round of performance reviews since
      adopting Scrum. Our existing practice is for managers to collect peer
      reviews and then write & give a performance review. If a salary
      increase is due, then it is given during this review.

      Doesn't sound very Agile.

      I would like to roll out better review process that will not try to
      change everything overnight. The goals are:
      - Reward teams instead of individuals. We want to build team
      ownership and collaboration.
      - Have clear feedback to individuals from those within their team and
      their customers.

      What do more experienced Agile development studios use?

      Thanks,
      Clint
    • Bill McMichael
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2005
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "clintonnkeith" <ckeith@h...>
        wrote:
        > I'd like to get advice on moving implementing a more Agile oriented
        > employee review process.
        >
        > We're approaching our first round of performance reviews since
        > adopting Scrum. Our existing practice is for managers to collect
        peer
        > reviews and then write & give a performance review. If a salary
        > increase is due, then it is given during this review.
        >
        > Doesn't sound very Agile.
        >
        > I would like to roll out better review process that will not try to
        > change everything overnight. The goals are:
        > - Reward teams instead of individuals. We want to build team
        > ownership and collaboration.
        > - Have clear feedback to individuals from those within their team
        and
        > their customers.
        >
        > What do more experienced Agile development studios use?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Clint

        Our development organization came up with a review process in 2004
        where everyone had 6 goals. 2 were team based and were evaluated
        based on team performance. Namely 1) Achievement of Sprint goals and
        2) Adhering to scrum practices (keeping burndown charts, daily scrum
        meetings, team members working outside their role etc..)
        Goals 3 and 4 were functionally oriented and evaluated the team
        member's performance as it relates to their primary functional area
        (programming, testing , tech writing, etc..).
        And the final two goals ( 5 & 6) were individual goals selected by
        the individual generally related to learning or knowledge sharing
        objectives.
        This provided mechanisms to reward team performance yet also evaluate
        individual performance within the team. This worked out reasonably
        well and we are following a similar practice in 2005.

        Bill
      • Doug Swartz
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2005
          Saturday, April 30, 2005, 1:09:45 PM, clintonnkeith wrote:

          > I'd like to get advice on moving implementing a more Agile oriented
          > employee review process.

          > We're approaching our first round of performance reviews since
          > adopting Scrum. Our existing practice is for managers to collect peer
          > reviews and then write & give a performance review. If a salary
          > increase is due, then it is given during this review.

          > Doesn't sound very Agile.

          > I would like to roll out better review process that will not try to
          > change everything overnight. The goals are:
          > - Reward teams instead of individuals. We want to build team
          > ownership and collaboration.
          > - Have clear feedback to individuals from those within their team and
          > their customers.

          > What do more experienced Agile development studios use?

          Here are some things we do that might be good places for you
          to start:

          Start by doing more frequent peer reviews. Quarterly SaMoLo's
          (http://fairlygoodpractices.com/samolo.htm), get everyone in
          the practice of giving feedback to each other. Having each
          member of the team give feedback to each other member of the
          team on what they're doing well, what behaviors we'd like to
          see miore of, and which behaviors we'd like to see less of, is
          a good start. SaMoLo's work best, especially when you're just
          starting out, if you use a skilled facilitator who isn't a
          daily member of the team.

          Only do promotions or special recognition based on a written
          recommendation signed by at least half the members of the
          individual's team. Managers can still determine what kind of
          promotion or recognition is appropriate. Peers know who is
          most valuable and doing the best work. Trust the team.

          If you have a bonus plan of some sort, switch from individual
          bonus objectives to team objectives. Everyone wins or loses
          together.

          --

          Doug Swartz
          daswartz@...