Scrum and CMM

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 29, 2002
      I was at Carnegie Mellon University and the Software Engineering
      Institute last week.
      I gave a presentation on Scrum and requirements traceability to a
      graduate architecture class. It turns out that they have the same
      waterfall approach we had in software development, with the same
      problems of managing changes and resisting "scope creep."
      I worked with Mark Paulk at SEI and assessed Scrum as level 2
      compliant to CMM, except for subcontractor management, which Scrum
      doesn't address. Scrum is also mostly level 3 compliant. The
      main "aha" for Mark was software quality engineering, where he saw
      that the daily scrums and sprint review addressed this. I'll be
      writing more about this over the next several weeks.

      Ken
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 29, 2002
        On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 9:45:21 AM, Ken Schwaber wrote:

        > I was at Carnegie Mellon University and the Software Engineering
        > Institute last week.
        > I gave a presentation on Scrum and requirements traceability to a
        > graduate architecture class. It turns out that they have the same
        > waterfall approach we had in software development, with the same
        > problems of managing changes and resisting "scope creep."
        > I worked with Mark Paulk at SEI and assessed Scrum as level 2
        > compliant to CMM, except for subcontractor management, which Scrum
        > doesn't address. Scrum is also mostly level 3 compliant. The
        > main "aha" for Mark was software quality engineering, where he saw
        > that the daily scrums and sprint review addressed this. I'll be
        > writing more about this over the next several weeks.

        As far as I know, the SEI does not assess processes, only project
        teams. What does it mean to say "assessed Scrum as Level 2 ..."?

        Accroche toi a ton reve. --ELO
      • Ken Schwaber
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 29, 2002
          The capabilities and processes of Scrum were compared to the requirements of
          the various KPA's at Level 2 and Level 3.
          Ken

          On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 9:45:21 AM, Ken Schwaber wrote:

          > I was at Carnegie Mellon University and the Software Engineering
          > Institute last week.
          > I gave a presentation on Scrum and requirements traceability to a
          > graduate architecture class. It turns out that they have the same
          > waterfall approach we had in software development, with the same
          > problems of managing changes and resisting "scope creep."
          > I worked with Mark Paulk at SEI and assessed Scrum as level 2
          > compliant to CMM, except for subcontractor management, which Scrum
          > doesn't address. Scrum is also mostly level 3 compliant. The
          > main "aha" for Mark was software quality engineering, where he saw
          > that the daily scrums and sprint review addressed this. I'll be
          > writing more about this over the next several weeks.

          As far as I know, the SEI does not assess processes, only project
          teams. What does it mean to say "assessed Scrum as Level 2 ..."?

          Accroche toi a ton reve. --ELO

        • Aureliano Calvo
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
            What KPA are missing if we use scrum correctly to achieve level 3 CMM
            (besides subcontractor management)?

            >I was at Carnegie Mellon University and the Software Engineering
            >Institute last week.
            >I gave a presentation on Scrum and requirements traceability to a
            >graduate architecture class. It turns out that they have the same
            >waterfall approach we had in software development, with the same
            >problems of managing changes and resisting "scope creep."
            >I worked with Mark Paulk at SEI and assessed Scrum as level 2
            >compliant to CMM, except for subcontractor management, which Scrum
            >doesn't address. Scrum is also mostly level 3 compliant. The
            >main "aha" for Mark was software quality engineering, where he saw
            >that the daily scrums and sprint review addressed this. I'll be
            >writing more about this over the next several weeks.
            >
            >Ken

          • Ken Schwaber
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
              Integrated Software Management and Training Program

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002
                On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 7:27:56 PM, Ken Schwaber wrote:

                > Integrated Software Management and Training Program

                Ken: How does scrum meet the following KPAs?

                Level 2: Software Configuration Management
                Software Quality Assurance
                Level 3: Peer Reviews
                Software Product Engineering
                Organization Process Focus

                Of course a team doing scrum might meet those KPAs, but I'm not aware
                of how Scrum itself addresses them.

                Thanks,

                Inigo Montoya: You are wonderful!
                Man in Black: Thank you. I have worked hard to become so.
              • Mircea Nedelcu
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 7, 2007
                  Hi,

                  The company in which I work is investigating Scrum for adoption.
                  They are committed to a CMM/I based process improvement model and they intend to use the two together.

                  What do you think, are there any chances to follow the key practices from CMM (level 2 and 3) and still adopt Scrum principles?

                  My opinion is that the two approaches are incompatible, yet there are some opinions from experienced Scrum practitioners that they can be used:
                  http://jeffsutherland.com/scrum/2006/11/scrum-supports-cmmi-level-5.html

                  Some incompatibilities that I can think of are related to:
                  - institutionalization supposed by CMM which is contrary to Scrum self managed teams
                  - the software quality assurance activities (internal audits) that are covered by SQA key process area of CMM
                  - the role and responsibility of project manager that are described in project planning key process area of CMM versus Scrum Master role
                  - need for documented, reviewed and baselined procedures and plans, e.g. project management plan versus the product backlog proposed by Scrum
                  - need of the Change Control Board for change management in CMM versus much simpler approach in Scrum (stories are committed to a Sprint)
                  - traceability of various artifacts (requirements, test cases) which is advocated by CMM as opposed to a lightweight, sync if needed approach

                  Regards,
                  Mircea

                  Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
                • Thierry Cros
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 7, 2007
                    Hi Mircea

                    CMMI: Yet Another (Huge) User Story
                    to be included in the backlog

                    Regards,
                    Thierry

                    --- Mircea Nedelcu <mirceaned@...> a écrit :

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > The company in which I work is investigating Scrum
                    > for adoption.
                    > They are committed to a CMM/I based process
                    > improvement model and they intend to use the two
                    > together.
                    >
                    > What do you think, are there any chances to follow
                    > the key practices from CMM (level 2 and 3) and still
                    > adopt Scrum principles?
                    >
                    > My opinion is that the two approaches are
                    > incompatible, yet there are some opinions from
                    > experienced Scrum practitioners that they can be
                    > used:

                    http://jeffsutherland.com/scrum/2006/11/scrum-supports-cmmi-level-5.html

                    > Some incompatibilities that I can think of are
                    > related to:
                    > - institutionalization supposed by CMM which is
                    > contrary to Scrum self managed teams
                    > - the software quality assurance activities
                    > (internal audits) that are covered by SQA key
                    > process area of CMM
                    > - the role and responsibility of project manager
                    > that are described in project planning key process
                    > area of CMM versus Scrum Master role
                    > - need for documented, reviewed and baselined
                    > procedures and plans, e.g. project management plan
                    > versus the product backlog proposed by Scrum
                    > - need of the Change Control Board for change
                    > management in CMM versus much simpler approach in
                    > Scrum (stories are committed to a Sprint)
                    > - traceability of various artifacts (requirements,
                    > test cases) which is advocated by CMM as opposed to
                    > a lightweight, sync if needed approach
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Mircea

                    > Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

                    > scrumdevelopment@...
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >
                    > (Yahoo! ID required)
                    >
                    > mailto:scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  • srinivas chillara
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 7, 2007
                      Hello,
                      This requires a fairly detailed answer. I happen to
                      have significant experience in both (CMMI and Scrum).
                      They are not necessarily incompatible. However to meet
                      all the KPAs (till level 5) and implement Scrum, I
                      suppose, is not realistic.

                      > They are committed to a CMM/I based process
                      > improvement model and they intend to use the two
                      > together.

                      They can do it together, with difficulty, but which to
                      which CMMI level are we thinking of?

                      > What do you think, are there any chances to follow
                      > the key practices from CMM (level 2 and 3) and still
                      > adopt Scrum principles?

                      If you look at Schwaber's book, appendix-E, you'll
                      realise that there is a good chance of meeting KPAs at
                      levels 2 and 3. If you want to (and can afford) advice
                      from the Guru of CMMI mapping, you should contack Mark
                      Paulk (of SEI).
                      You can also settle for me.

                      > Some incompatibilities that I can think of are
                      > related to:
                      > - institutionalization supposed by CMM which is
                      > contrary to Scrum self managed teams

                      Oh no, nothing stops you from institutionalising
                      Scrum. Not just for software dev, also for all company
                      activities that have goals.

                      > - the software quality assurance activities
                      > (internal audits) that are covered by SQA key
                      > process area of CMM

                      Actually, in part the Scrum Master does that, and in
                      many places a consultant-coach who facilitates
                      adoption of Scrum can play this role. Yes there is
                      more to this... but it's too long and detailed to put
                      up here.

                      > - the role and responsibility of project manager
                      > that are described in project planning key process
                      > area of CMM versus Scrum Master role.

                      They are actually not that different.

                      > - need for documented, reviewed and baselined
                      > procedures and plans, e.g. project management plan
                      > versus the product backlog proposed by Scrum.

                      Hmmm good point. However the Scrum Backlog is a form
                      of project plan. The Scrum Master can take up the role
                      of maintaining other artifacts reqd by CMM
                      implementation, without disturbing the team.

                      > - need of the Change Control Board for change
                      > management in CMM versus much simpler approach in
                      > Scrum (stories are committed to a Sprint)

                      Clever wording can get you out of this hole.

                      > - traceability of various artifacts (requirements,
                      > test cases) which is advocated by CMM as opposed to
                      > a lightweight, sync if needed approach

                      Nothing wrong with maintaining traceability. I think
                      one should put the case for tracability, and get the
                      team and PO to agree for the need for this. If the PO
                      says that "traceability is required, so I can say an
                      item is DONE" it is in!
                      But of a backdoor, but in my opinion useful for the
                      long run.

                      cheers
                      Cheenie

                      Did you know? You can CHAT without downloading messenger. Click here http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php
                    • George Dinwiddie
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 7, 2007
                        Mircea Nedelcu wrote:
                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > The company in which I work is investigating Scrum for adoption.
                        > They are committed to a CMM/I based process improvement model and they intend to use the two together.

                        Actually, I think you can do quite well. See http://agilecmmi.com/ The
                        main point is to get auditors who understand the issues, not who use
                        heavyweight processes as a checklist for CMMI compliance.

                        - George

                      • Basharat Wani
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 7, 2007
                          I have a fairly good experience with both CMM level 5  and Scrum, they both can coexist peacefully together.
                          From the perceptive of CMM all the KPA for Level 3 are also available in SCRUM implementation with little bit of tailoring.
                          Scrum is also mostly a level 3 compliant in terms of CMM .

                          Basharat

                          work is investigating Scrum for adoption.
                          > They are committed to a CMM/I
                          based process improvement model and they intend to use the two together.

                          Actually, I think you can do quite well. See http://agilecmmi. com/ The
                          main point is to get auditors who understand the issues, not who use
                          heavyweight processes as a checklist for CMMI compliance.

                          - George

                          * George Dinwiddie * http://blog. gdinwiddie. com
                          Software Development http://www.idiacomp uting.com
                          Consultant and Coach http://www.agilemar yland.org

                        • mirceaned
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 7, 2007
                            Hi Thierry,
                            You're right, if the client demands CMMI compliance then this is just
                            another task in the backlog.
                            Just that CMM doesn't seem to be very agile: in my opinion a great
                            emphasize is put on process (audits, Software process engineering
                            groups), contract negotiation (reviews and approvals of documentation,
                            stricter change control), comprehensive documentation (even if client
                            does not request it) and following the plan (see the project
                            management plan in the Project Planning key process area).

                            I don't have extensive knowledge about the CMMI version.

                            Regards,
                            Mircea

                            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Thierry Cros <tc2mar-tco@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Hi Mircea
                            >
                            > CMMI: Yet Another (Huge) User Story
                            > to be included in the backlog
                            >

                            > Regards,
                            > Thierry

                          • Michael Maham
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 7, 2007
                              I'd second the recommendation to look at Hillel's www.agilecmmi.com site.  I saw his presentation at the last SEPG conference in Austin and I felt like he really has a depth of understanding of both Agile and CMMI in way that I don't see in a lot of other people coming from one area or the other.  There's a lot of superficial aatempts from people from either background- for example, I can't take the meeting where the project manager assigns tasks and gets updates on progress and rename it a "daily scrum" and say I'm Agile.

                              There's also misconceptions about CMMI- for example the practices say you have to manage the changes to a project, it doesn't say *how* you have to do it (ie- with a CCB).  Scrum says how you should be managing some changes - the product owner can re-prioritize the product backlog (not the Scrum Master, not marketing, not the CEO), the stories accepted into a sprint shouldn't be changed during the sprint except as the team needs clarification from the owner, etc.  Similarly, I think a lot of the original examples of potential incompatibilities given in the original email are incompatibilities between a particular set of practices (that happen to meet the expectations of the CMMI model) and Agile principles or Scrum practices.  That doesn't mean those are the *only* practices that meet the goals of the model.

                              Granted, a lot of CMMI based improvement efforts haven't developed particularly agile practices, and I agree that if you are hiring an appraiser or consultant to help you they need to understand all of the organization's goals (ie- to be agile and to be a certain CMMI level), you may need 2 if you can't find someone with enough experience in both areas.

                              Scrum on it's own isn't going to address all of the practices at any level in the CMMI model, XP would cover some of the engineering practices it doesn't, other practices would need to addressed by the organization in ways that make business sense and are agile.

                              michael

                              wrote:

                              > Hi Mircea
                              >
                              > CMMI: Yet Another (Huge) User Story
                              > to be included in the backlog
                              >

                              > Regards,
                              > Thierry

                            • Michael Vizdos
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 8, 2007
                                Hi,

                                If the two "camps" can come together and talk about what is really
                                needed (from a CMM compliance standpoint and actually delivering
                                working software, if that is a goal), you stand a better chance of
                                succeeding if the team understand what "done" looks like from the
                                different perspectives.

                                If you are implementing Scrum because you/they think is is a silver
                                bullet, that is probably not a good reason to use it. Remember that
                                Scrum brings a lot of dysfunctional habits within an organizations,
                                and this can be tough on some people.

                                Talk. Open the communication lines. And make an informed decision.
                                Along with the advice already posted to this thread (smile).

                                Thank you!

                                - mike vizdos
                                www.implementingscrum.com
                                www.michaelvizdos.com

                                On 6/7/07, Mircea Nedelcu <mirceaned@...> wrote:
                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > The company in which I work is investigating Scrum for adoption.
                                > They are committed to a CMM/I based process improvement model and they intend to use the two together.
                                >
                                > What do you think, are there any chances to follow the key practices from CMM (level 2 and 3) and still adopt Scrum principles?
                                >
                                > My opinion is that the two approaches are incompatible, yet there are some opinions from experienced Scrum practitioners that they can be used:
                                > http://jeffsutherland.com/scrum/2006/11/scrum-supports-cmmi-level-5.html
                                >
                                > Some incompatibilities that I can think of are related to:
                                > - institutionalization supposed by CMM which is contrary to Scrum self managed teams
                                > - the software quality assurance activities (internal audits) that are covered by SQA key process area of CMM
                                > - the role and responsibility of project manager that are described in project planning key process area of CMM versus Scrum Master role
                                > - need for documented, reviewed and baselined procedures and plans, e.g. project management plan versus the product backlog proposed by Scrum
                                > - need of the Change Control Board for change management in CMM versus much simpler approach in Scrum (stories are committed to a Sprint)
                                > - traceability of various artifacts (requirements, test cases) which is advocated by CMM as opposed to a lightweight, sync if needed approach
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > Mircea

                              • ceezone
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 9, 2007
                                  Looks like a good blog. Yes, he makes the necessary points.

                                  http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
                                  http://www.idiacomputing.com
                                  http://www.agilemaryland.org
                                  ----

                                • srinivas chillara
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 9, 2007
                                    Very well put indeed. However it is Scrum that is more
                                    relavent to CMMI than XP. Actually CMMI doesn't cover
                                    engineering practices very well (which XP does), and
                                    CMMI implementations don't often really produce good
                                    engineering results for this reason.
                                    CMMI and SW-CMM are process improvement and management
                                    frameworks.

                                    Yes, and XP and Scrum are much more prescriptive than
                                    CMMI/SW-CMM

                                    cheers
                                    Cheenie

                                    scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com<scrumdevelopment%40yahoogroups.com>,