Re: pigs vs chickens

  • w6rabbit
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 6, 2005
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David H." <dmalloc@g...>
      wrote:
      > On Apr 5, 2005 4:20 AM, w6rabbit <bwhite@i...> wrote:
      > >

      > > One thing we do differently, is that managers typically are not
      > > allowed to speak.
      > > We DO allow project managers to speak, but only about things
      related
      > > to the product they are managing on.
      > Speak where? In your daily Scrum?
      > <snip>
      > How do manage to finish in 15 minutes with all this chatter?

      8:-)
      I don't know, but we do.

      > > In short, we see them as part of our team. They *don't* get to
      ask
      > > questions of talk about purely manager things, like what someone
      else
      > > is working on.
      > >
      > If they are product owners toward your team they are not part of
      your
      > team and will never be. If they have concerns or wish to add,
      prepare
      > or come up with different ways of guiding your work, that is what
      the
      > product backlog is for when it comes to goal changing issues.

      Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I mentioned anything like this in
      my examples.

      > Apart
      > from that they should of course be allowed to communicate with the
      > team during the Planning meetings for each sprint. After that the
      team
      > should be left alone and no longer disturbed.

      Thanks for you comments. That helped me understand exactly what I
      was saying.
      Clarification: We let chickens talk, to the extent that they are
      pigs. That is, things they are working on. We don't let them talk
      about chicken things, like clarification.
      For me, the scrum is not about resolving anything, and this is no
      different for chickens. It is about surfacing issues, and issues
      that chickens have are just as helpful to me as issues that pigs
      have.

      Brad.
    • gery.derbier@solystic.com
      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 7, 2005

        I have seen the following simple protocol to have efficient meeting :
        - everyone states precisely what he wants from the meeting
        - at any point during the meeting, a check is done to know where each one is from getting what he wants

        In a standup meeting, the wants do not need to be stated each time but should have been defined from the beginning.
        Everybody :
        - wants to know what are his top priorities
        - wants to get his blocks removed and will accept any help
        The PO :
        - wants to know if she will get what she needs.

        Géry.

        "w6rabbit" <bwhite@...>

        06/04/2005 18:44
        Veuillez répondre à scrumdevelopment

                Pour :        scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                cc :
                Objet :        [scrumdevelopment] Re: pigs vs chickens

        [...]

        Perhaps this is where our approach has an advantage.  The same rules
        apply to everyone.  You are allowed to talk about what you are
        working on, not what someone else is working on.  We've found that
        even the scrum master and other pigs can fall prey to this.  So this
        rule applies to pigs just as much as chickens.

        Brad.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/