pigs vs chickens

  • w6rabbit
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 4, 2005
      One thing we do differently, is that managers typically are not
      allowed to speak.
      We DO allow project managers to speak, but only about things related
      to the product they are managing on.
      If they are testing this or that; or they received this error report
      and are tracking down the problem; or this customer did this, which
      messed up that, so he's coaching support on how to recover; are all
      very good things to know. We might see patterns that he might not.

      If support is upgrading 2 customers this week to the new version of
      the database, then we get a bug report from them later in the week, we
      have a good clue.
      Or the latest great lead wants this new feature, it helps us be aware
      of things coming down the road.

      Or, he is going to Chicago tomorrow for a demo; or XYZ customer order
      came through; or signed up three new customers for the latest product;
      or just came back from a week-long install and training session and
      the new users are very happy.
      These are technically not relevant to our day to day work, but very
      encouraging never the less.

      We had one manager that came and reported three days in a row that he
      was working on a particular report. It didn't occur to him that it
      wasn't supposed to be that hard.

      In short, we see them as part of our team. They *don't* get to ask
      questions of talk about purely manager things, like what someone else
      is working on.

      HTH,
      Brad.
    • gery.derbier@solystic.com
      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 7, 2005

        I have seen the following simple protocol to have efficient meeting :
        - everyone states precisely what he wants from the meeting
        - at any point during the meeting, a check is done to know where each one is from getting what he wants

        In a standup meeting, the wants do not need to be stated each time but should have been defined from the beginning.
        Everybody :
        - wants to know what are his top priorities
        - wants to get his blocks removed and will accept any help
        The PO :
        - wants to know if she will get what she needs.

        Géry.

        "w6rabbit" <bwhite@...>

        06/04/2005 18:44
        Veuillez répondre à scrumdevelopment

                Pour :        scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                cc :
                Objet :        [scrumdevelopment] Re: pigs vs chickens

        [...]

        Perhaps this is where our approach has an advantage.  The same rules
        apply to everyone.  You are allowed to talk about what you are
        working on, not what someone else is working on.  We've found that
        even the scrum master and other pigs can fall prey to this.  So this
        rule applies to pigs just as much as chickens.

        Brad.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/