Re: end of sprint is anticlimatic

  • w6rabbit
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4 6:59 PM
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Kristan Vingrys"
      <kvingrys@a...> wrote:
      > Brad,
      >
      > We are experiencing a similar issue. The way I have tried to get
      around that
      > is to get people to demo the work they have done, and during this
      demo to
      > get people from outside the team to sit in and see the demo. This
      way the
      > team has a chance to show other people in the organisation what
      they have
      > been doing. Also other people in the organisation can provide
      feedback, most
      > of which is positive.

      This worked for a short time.
      Since we sprint for 3 weeks, only those close to
      the project can even see much difference between
      them.
      Ooh! Now we can import and export from the Federal Reserve.
      Wait, this looks just like the ANSI import.
      *Very* short demos and not the morale boost I'm hoping for. 8:-)

      But others in the scrum that have been hearing about
      the trials and pitfalls all sprint, could appretiate it.
      But...

      Well, now, wait a minute. We normally do the demos
      at the begining of the Sprint meeting and it always
      felt silly to invite everyone in for a 1 minute demo,
      repeat for 3 sprint meetings. But if we held one demo
      meeting, separate from the sprint meetings, there would
      be a common finish line. Everyone could attend and show
      whatever they wanted, and everyone could congratulate
      everyone else, etc.

      We just started this sprint, but I'll post back in three
      weeks with results.

      Thanks for the seed of an idea!
      Brad.
    • Todd Hartle
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6 4:30 AM
        Take the team out to a nice lunch. And better yet get a banner made.
        That's what we did and management loved it.

        On Apr 4, 2005 9:59 PM, w6rabbit <bwhite@...> wrote:

        > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Kristan Vingrys"
        > <kvingrys@a...> wrote:
        > > Brad,
        > >
        > > We are experiencing a similar issue. The way I have tried to get
        > around that
        > > is to get people to demo the work they have done, and during this
        > demo to
        > > get people from outside the team to sit in and see the demo. This
        > way the
        > > team has a chance to show other people in the organisation what
        > they have
        > > been doing. Also other people in the organisation can provide
        > feedback, most
        > > of which is positive.
        > >

        > This worked for a short time.
        > Since we sprint for 3 weeks, only those close to
        > the project can even see much difference between
        > them.
        > Ooh! Now we can import and export from the Federal Reserve.
        > Wait, this looks just like the ANSI import.
        > *Very* short demos and not the morale boost I'm hoping for. 8:-)
        >
        > But others in the scrum that have been hearing about
        > the trials and pitfalls all sprint, could appretiate it.
        > But...
        >
        > Well, now, wait a minute. We normally do the demos
        > at the begining of the Sprint meeting and it always
        > felt silly to invite everyone in for a 1 minute demo,
        > repeat for 3 sprint meetings. But if we held one demo
        > meeting, separate from the sprint meetings, there would
        > be a common finish line. Everyone could attend and show
        > whatever they wanted, and everyone could congratulate
        > everyone else, etc.
        >
        > We just started this sprint, but I'll post back in three
        > weeks with results.
        >
        > Thanks for the seed of an idea!
        > Brad.

      • w6rabbit
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6 6:19 AM
          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Todd Hartle <thartle@g...>
          wrote:
          > Take the team out to a nice lunch. And better yet get a banner made.
          > That's what we did and management loved it.

          At the end of every sprint?

          A new banner for each, or do you put up the same one for a couple of
          days and take it back down so you can put it up again?
        • Adrian Howard
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7 9:12 AM
            On 5 Apr 2005, at 02:19, w6rabbit wrote:
            [snip]
            > What do you do at the end of your sprint to celebrate
            > finishing? Perhaps some answers to that would help
            > me see what my real problem is.
            [snip]

            Beer & pizza?

            Adrian