RE: [scrumdevelopment] end of sprint is anticlimatic

  • Kristan Vingrys
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
      Brad,

      We are experiencing a similar issue. The way I have tried to get around that is to get people to demo the work they have done, and during this demo to get people from outside the team to sit in and see the demo. This way the team has a chance to show other people in the organisation what they have been doing. Also other people in the organisation can provide feedback, most of which is positive.

      Regards,

      Kristan

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Kristan Vingrys"
        <kvingrys@a...> wrote:
        > Brad,
        >
        > We are experiencing a similar issue. The way I have tried to get
        around that
        > is to get people to demo the work they have done, and during this
        demo to
        > get people from outside the team to sit in and see the demo. This
        way the
        > team has a chance to show other people in the organisation what
        they have
        > been doing. Also other people in the organisation can provide
        feedback, most
        > of which is positive.

        This worked for a short time.
        Since we sprint for 3 weeks, only those close to
        the project can even see much difference between
        them.
        Ooh! Now we can import and export from the Federal Reserve.
        Wait, this looks just like the ANSI import.
        *Very* short demos and not the morale boost I'm hoping for. 8:-)

        But others in the scrum that have been hearing about
        the trials and pitfalls all sprint, could appretiate it.
        But...

        Well, now, wait a minute. We normally do the demos
        at the begining of the Sprint meeting and it always
        felt silly to invite everyone in for a 1 minute demo,
        repeat for 3 sprint meetings. But if we held one demo
        meeting, separate from the sprint meetings, there would
        be a common finish line. Everyone could attend and show
        whatever they wanted, and everyone could congratulate
        everyone else, etc.

        We just started this sprint, but I'll post back in three
        weeks with results.

        Thanks for the seed of an idea!
        Brad.
      • Todd Hartle
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2005
          Take the team out to a nice lunch. And better yet get a banner made.
          That's what we did and management loved it.

          On Apr 4, 2005 9:59 PM, w6rabbit <bwhite@...> wrote:

          > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Kristan Vingrys"
          > <kvingrys@a...> wrote:
          > > Brad,
          > >
          > > We are experiencing a similar issue. The way I have tried to get
          > around that
          > > is to get people to demo the work they have done, and during this
          > demo to
          > > get people from outside the team to sit in and see the demo. This
          > way the
          > > team has a chance to show other people in the organisation what
          > they have
          > > been doing. Also other people in the organisation can provide
          > feedback, most
          > > of which is positive.
          > >

          > This worked for a short time.
          > Since we sprint for 3 weeks, only those close to
          > the project can even see much difference between
          > them.
          > Ooh! Now we can import and export from the Federal Reserve.
          > Wait, this looks just like the ANSI import.
          > *Very* short demos and not the morale boost I'm hoping for. 8:-)
          >
          > But others in the scrum that have been hearing about
          > the trials and pitfalls all sprint, could appretiate it.
          > But...
          >
          > Well, now, wait a minute. We normally do the demos
          > at the begining of the Sprint meeting and it always
          > felt silly to invite everyone in for a 1 minute demo,
          > repeat for 3 sprint meetings. But if we held one demo
          > meeting, separate from the sprint meetings, there would
          > be a common finish line. Everyone could attend and show
          > whatever they wanted, and everyone could congratulate
          > everyone else, etc.
          >
          > We just started this sprint, but I'll post back in three
          > weeks with results.
          >
          > Thanks for the seed of an idea!
          > Brad.

        • w6rabbit
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2005
            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Todd Hartle <thartle@g...>
            wrote:
            > Take the team out to a nice lunch. And better yet get a banner made.
            > That's what we did and management loved it.

            At the end of every sprint?

            A new banner for each, or do you put up the same one for a couple of
            days and take it back down so you can put it up again?
          • Adrian Howard
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7, 2005
              On 5 Apr 2005, at 02:19, w6rabbit wrote:
              [snip]
              > What do you do at the end of your sprint to celebrate
              > finishing? Perhaps some answers to that would help
              > me see what my real problem is.
              [snip]

              Beer & pizza?

              Adrian