end of sprint is anticlimatic

  • w6rabbit
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
      We run 3 sprints in parallel.
      We have between 8 and 12 people in our scrum daily
      depending on who is here.
      I could run 3 separate scrums, but the projects are
      so interwoven that we all benefit from hearing about
      progress and holdups on each Sprint team, not just
      our own.

      It sounds confusing, but it is really working pretty
      well, all things considered.

      The one problem I'm having is that the sprint seems
      to end with a whimper.
      Everyone will be watching the sprint chart to see
      who is going to finish (hopefully everyone) and we
      are always cutting it pretty close. But we almost
      always finish everything we said we would.

      Then the sprint is over and nothing really comes to
      a conclusion. I mean within each team sprint meeting
      we review, but we don't have any ceremony with the rest
      of the group around getting everything finished.
      I feel like it would be good feedback, kudos, to
      hear "good job" from the rest of the team.

      I attribute this to the fact that our sprints all end
      at slightly different times. I have yet to be able
      to get them all into the same day. So some teams
      end up getting a bit more time than other teams to finish.
      But I'm wondering if that is a red herring and the
      real problem is elsewhere.

      What do you do at the end of your sprint to celebrate
      finishing? Perhaps some answers to that would help
      me see what my real problem is.

      Thanks,
      Brad.
    • Kristan Vingrys
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
        Brad,

        We are experiencing a similar issue. The way I have tried to get around that is to get people to demo the work they have done, and during this demo to get people from outside the team to sit in and see the demo. This way the team has a chance to show other people in the organisation what they have been doing. Also other people in the organisation can provide feedback, most of which is positive.

        Regards,

        Kristan

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Kristan Vingrys"
          <kvingrys@a...> wrote:
          > Brad,
          >
          > We are experiencing a similar issue. The way I have tried to get
          around that
          > is to get people to demo the work they have done, and during this
          demo to
          > get people from outside the team to sit in and see the demo. This
          way the
          > team has a chance to show other people in the organisation what
          they have
          > been doing. Also other people in the organisation can provide
          feedback, most
          > of which is positive.

          This worked for a short time.
          Since we sprint for 3 weeks, only those close to
          the project can even see much difference between
          them.
          Ooh! Now we can import and export from the Federal Reserve.
          Wait, this looks just like the ANSI import.
          *Very* short demos and not the morale boost I'm hoping for. 8:-)

          But others in the scrum that have been hearing about
          the trials and pitfalls all sprint, could appretiate it.
          But...

          Well, now, wait a minute. We normally do the demos
          at the begining of the Sprint meeting and it always
          felt silly to invite everyone in for a 1 minute demo,
          repeat for 3 sprint meetings. But if we held one demo
          meeting, separate from the sprint meetings, there would
          be a common finish line. Everyone could attend and show
          whatever they wanted, and everyone could congratulate
          everyone else, etc.

          We just started this sprint, but I'll post back in three
          weeks with results.

          Thanks for the seed of an idea!
          Brad.
        • Todd Hartle
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2005
            Take the team out to a nice lunch. And better yet get a banner made.
            That's what we did and management loved it.

            On Apr 4, 2005 9:59 PM, w6rabbit <bwhite@...> wrote:

            > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Kristan Vingrys"
            > <kvingrys@a...> wrote:
            > > Brad,
            > >
            > > We are experiencing a similar issue. The way I have tried to get
            > around that
            > > is to get people to demo the work they have done, and during this
            > demo to
            > > get people from outside the team to sit in and see the demo. This
            > way the
            > > team has a chance to show other people in the organisation what
            > they have
            > > been doing. Also other people in the organisation can provide
            > feedback, most
            > > of which is positive.
            > >

            > This worked for a short time.
            > Since we sprint for 3 weeks, only those close to
            > the project can even see much difference between
            > them.
            > Ooh! Now we can import and export from the Federal Reserve.
            > Wait, this looks just like the ANSI import.
            > *Very* short demos and not the morale boost I'm hoping for. 8:-)
            >
            > But others in the scrum that have been hearing about
            > the trials and pitfalls all sprint, could appretiate it.
            > But...
            >
            > Well, now, wait a minute. We normally do the demos
            > at the begining of the Sprint meeting and it always
            > felt silly to invite everyone in for a 1 minute demo,
            > repeat for 3 sprint meetings. But if we held one demo
            > meeting, separate from the sprint meetings, there would
            > be a common finish line. Everyone could attend and show
            > whatever they wanted, and everyone could congratulate
            > everyone else, etc.
            >
            > We just started this sprint, but I'll post back in three
            > weeks with results.
            >
            > Thanks for the seed of an idea!
            > Brad.

          • w6rabbit
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2005
              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Todd Hartle <thartle@g...>
              wrote:
              > Take the team out to a nice lunch. And better yet get a banner made.
              > That's what we did and management loved it.

              At the end of every sprint?

              A new banner for each, or do you put up the same one for a couple of
              days and take it back down so you can put it up again?
            • Adrian Howard
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7, 2005
                On 5 Apr 2005, at 02:19, w6rabbit wrote:
                [snip]
                > What do you do at the end of your sprint to celebrate
                > finishing? Perhaps some answers to that would help
                > me see what my real problem is.
                [snip]

                Beer & pizza?

                Adrian