RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum: a silly name?

  • Tobias Mayer
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
      --- Deb wrote:
      Seemingly, a question in search of an answer..
      "Why did someone name an agile method "scrum"? From Dictionary.com:
          scrum: A disordered or confused situation involving a number of people.
      That doesn't exactly make me want to embrace it for my development projects!"

      --- Mike Cohn wrote:
      It comes from the original Takeuchi and Nonaka paper ("The New New Product Development Game" in Harvard Business Review in January 1986). ...

      --- David H. wrote:
      Not to mention that this person should have done better research.
      Scrum is a technical key term of rugby...

      ---------------
      It is interesting to know where the name Scrum originates from, but why do we feel that this name needs justification?  Personally I like the above definition, quoted by Deb.  It sounds close to truth.  Most software projects are confused, disordered and somewhat chaotic.  In an Agile project that is where the creativity comes from.  And the resultant order (i.e. the product) emerges from this chaos - precisely because Agile processes recognize it and work with it, instead of against it.

      I also like that it "doesn't exactly make me want to embrace it for my development projects!".  Good!  No methodology should be taken on because of its name.  Death March paths are no doubt strewn with cool-sounding adjectives such as "rational" and "unified" and "requirements-driven".

      Embrace "Scrum", in all its scrappy, scummy, crumby glory!

      Tobias

    • Mike Cohn
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
        Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum: a silly name? In his annual April Fool’s Day column in Software Development magazine last year Scott Ambler predicted that in 10 years Ken would come to his senses and realize that naming a process after a little-known sports term was hampering adoption and that he’d rename the process “Cricket.”

        -Mike

        --- David H. wrote:
[...]

         <mailto:tobias@...>

        Yahoo! Groups Links