Re: Scrum: a silly name?

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4 11:44 AM
      Mike's definition, below, is a good one. So, does someone want to
      enlighten the readers of Coolbits as to why calling it Scrum makes
      total sense?

      deb
      (not a Hooker)

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cohn <mike@m...> wrote:
      > It comes from the original Takeuchi and Nonaka paper ("The New New
      Product
      > Development Game" in Harvard Business Review in January 1986). The
      key quote
      > is
      >
      > ³The Œrelay race¹ approach to product development may conflict with the
      > goals of maximum speed and flexibility. Instead a holistic or Œrugby¹
      > approach‹where a team tries to go the distance as a unit, passing
      the ball
      > back and forth‹may better serve today¹s competitive requirements.²
      >
      > It's not an acronym although it was once used as such in the TV show
      "Mad
      > About You." On that episode Barbara Feldon (of "Get Smart") was
      playing the
      > fictional tv character "Spy Girl." Since every spy needs a nemesis, Spy
      > Girl's was SCRUM--the Society for the Complete Ruination of Universal
      > Mankind.
      >
      > Which, I think, sums up our true goal here.
      >
      > --Mike
      >

      > On 4/3/05 9:27 PM, "Deb" <deborah@h...> wrote:
      >

      > > Seemingly, a question in search of an answer, below.
      > > Anyone?
      > >
      > > "Why did someone name an agile method "scrum"? From Dictionary.com:
      > > scrum: A disordered or confused situation involving
      > > a number of people.
      > > That doesn't exactly make me want to embrace it for my development
      > > projects!"
      > >
      > > http://www.coolbits.nu/685.aspx

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Jim.Hyslop
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4 12:36 PM
        Done.

        http://www.coolbits.nu/685.aspx

        --
        Jim Hyslop
        Senior Software Designer

      • Tobias Mayer
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4 5:31 PM

          --- Mike Cohn wrote:
          It comes from the original Takeuchi and Nonaka paper ("The New New Product Development Game" in Harvard Business Review in January 1986). ...

          --- David H. wrote:
          Not to mention that this person should have done better research.
          Scrum is a technical key term of rugby...

          ---------------
          It is interesting to know where the name Scrum originates from, but why do we feel that this name needs justification?  Personally I like the above definition, quoted by Deb.  It sounds close to truth.  Most software projects are confused, disordered and somewhat chaotic.  In an Agile project that is where the creativity comes from.  And the resultant order (i.e. the product) emerges from this chaos - precisely because Agile processes recognize it and work with it, instead of against it.

          I also like that it "doesn't exactly make me want to embrace it for my development projects!".  Good!  No methodology should be taken on because of its name.  Death March paths are no doubt strewn with cool-sounding adjectives such as "rational" and "unified" and "requirements-driven".

          Embrace "Scrum", in all its scrappy, scummy, crumby glory!

          Tobias

        • Mike Cohn
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4 6:22 PM
            Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum: a silly name? In his annual April Fool’s Day column in Software Development magazine last year Scott Ambler predicted that in 10 years Ken would come to his senses and realize that naming a process after a little-known sports term was hampering adoption and that he’d rename the process “Cricket.”

            -Mike

            --- David H. wrote:
[...]

             <mailto:tobias@...>

            Yahoo! Groups Links