Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum: a silly name?

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2005
      It comes from the original Takeuchi and Nonaka paper ("The New New Product
      Development Game" in Harvard Business Review in January 1986). The key quote
      is

      ³The Œrelay race¹ approach to product development may conflict with the
      goals of maximum speed and flexibility. Instead a holistic or Œrugby¹
      approach‹where a team tries to go the distance as a unit, passing the ball
      back and forth‹may better serve today¹s competitive requirements.²

      It's not an acronym although it was once used as such in the TV show "Mad
      About You." On that episode Barbara Feldon (of "Get Smart") was playing the
      fictional tv character "Spy Girl." Since every spy needs a nemesis, Spy
      Girl's was SCRUM--the Society for the Complete Ruination of Universal
      Mankind.

      Which, I think, sums up our true goal here.

      --Mike

      On 4/3/05 9:27 PM, "Deb" <deborah@...> wrote:

      > Seemingly, a question in search of an answer, below.
      > Anyone?
      >
      > "Why did someone name an agile method "scrum"? From Dictionary.com:
      > scrum: A disordered or confused situation involving
      > a number of people.
      > That doesn't exactly make me want to embrace it for my development
      > projects!"
      >
      > http://www.coolbits.nu/685.aspx

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • David H.
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2005
        <snip>

        Not to mention that this person should have done better research.
        Scrum is a technical key term of rugby, see here:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28in_sports%29
      • Mike Beedle
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2005
          Don't you love the "Get Smart" definition of SCRUM? I am sure
          customers would be thrilled to find that definition somewhere in their
          invoices (not!).

          I guess that's why we do Scrum not SCRUM,

          - Mike

          It comes from the original Takeuchi and Nonaka paper ("The New New Product
          Development Game" in Harvard Business Review in January 1986). The key quote
          is

          ³The Œrelay race¹ approach to product development may conflict with the
          goals of maximum speed and flexibility. Instead a holistic or Œrugby¹
          approach‹where a team tries to go the distance as a unit, passing the ball
          back and forth‹may better serve today¹s competitive requirements.²

          It's not an acronym although it was once used as such in the TV show "Mad
          About You." On that episode Barbara Feldon (of "Get Smart") was playing the
          fictional tv character "Spy Girl." Since every spy needs a nemesis, Spy
          Girl's was SCRUM--the Society for the Complete Ruination of Universal
          Mankind.

          Which, I think, sums up our true goal here.

          --Mike

          On 4/3/05 9:27 PM, "Deb" <deborah@...> wrote:

          > Seemingly, a question in search of an answer, below.
          > Anyone?
          >
          > "Why did someone name an agile method "scrum"? From Dictionary.com:
          > scrum: A disordered or confused situation involving
          > a number of people.
          > That doesn't exactly make me want to embrace it for my development
          > projects!"
          >
          > http://www.coolbits.nu/685.aspx

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Diana Larsen
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
            Does this definition lead to comments on software projects, like, "Oh
            please Ms/Mr ScrumMaster, may I be the hooker in our Scrum?"

            Diana

            Diana Larsen
            www.futureworksconsulting.com 503-288-3550

            Upcoming Workshop:
            "The Secrets of Agile Teamwork: Beyond Technical Skills"
            Presenters: Diana Larsen and Esther Derby
            April 5-7, 2005

            On Apr 3, 2005, at 11:06 PM, David H. wrote:

            > <snip>
            >
            > Not to mention that this person should have done better research.
            > Scrum is a technical key term of rugby, see here:
            >
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28in_sports%29
          • Jim.Hyslop
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
              David H. wrote:
              > <snip>
              >
              > Not to mention that this person should have done better research.
              > Scrum is a technical key term of rugby, see here:
              >
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28in_sports%29
              Indeed.

              I've posted a rebuttal on the Coolbits site:

              "I'd challenge the definition of "scrum" that dictionary.com uses. I have
              never heard that definition, nor have I ever heard the word scrum used to
              mean "a fight" - I think the other authors who were cited meant to use the
              word "scrap". I checked three different dictionaries (Oxford, Webster's and
              Gage), and each of them basically said the same thing: "scrum" is an
              abbreviation of "scrummage", a term used in Rugby to indicate a specific
              play."

              --
              Jim Hyslop
              Senior Software Designer
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
                YOU BAD!!!!!!!!!
                *^)

                --
                Mike Dwyer

                "I Keep six faithful serving-men
                Who serve me well and true:
                Their names are What and Where and When
                And How and Why and Who." - Kipling

                > Does this definition lead to comments on software projects, like, "Oh
                > please Ms/Mr ScrumMaster, may I be the hooker in our Scrum?"
                >
                > Diana
                >
                > Diana Larsen
                > www.futureworksconsulting.com 503-288-3550
                >
                > Upcoming Workshop:
                > "The Secrets of Agile Teamwork: Beyond Technical Skills"
                > Presenters: Diana Larsen and Esther Derby
                > April 5-7, 2005
                >

                > On Apr 3, 2005, at 11:06 PM, David H. wrote:
                >

                > > Not to mention that this person should have done better research.
                > > Scrum is a technical key term of rugby, see here:
                > >
                > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28in_sports%29

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Deb
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
                  Mike's definition, below, is a good one. So, does someone want to
                  enlighten the readers of Coolbits as to why calling it Scrum makes
                  total sense?

                  deb
                  (not a Hooker)

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cohn <mike@m...> wrote:
                  > It comes from the original Takeuchi and Nonaka paper ("The New New
                  Product
                  > Development Game" in Harvard Business Review in January 1986). The
                  key quote
                  > is
                  >
                  > ³The Œrelay race¹ approach to product development may conflict with the
                  > goals of maximum speed and flexibility. Instead a holistic or Œrugby¹
                  > approach‹where a team tries to go the distance as a unit, passing
                  the ball
                  > back and forth‹may better serve today¹s competitive requirements.²
                  >
                  > It's not an acronym although it was once used as such in the TV show
                  "Mad
                  > About You." On that episode Barbara Feldon (of "Get Smart") was
                  playing the
                  > fictional tv character "Spy Girl." Since every spy needs a nemesis, Spy
                  > Girl's was SCRUM--the Society for the Complete Ruination of Universal
                  > Mankind.
                  >
                  > Which, I think, sums up our true goal here.
                  >
                  > --Mike
                  >

                  > On 4/3/05 9:27 PM, "Deb" <deborah@h...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Seemingly, a question in search of an answer, below.
                  > > Anyone?
                  > >
                  > > "Why did someone name an agile method "scrum"? From Dictionary.com:
                  > > scrum: A disordered or confused situation involving
                  > > a number of people.
                  > > That doesn't exactly make me want to embrace it for my development
                  > > projects!"
                  > >
                  > > http://www.coolbits.nu/685.aspx

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jim.Hyslop
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
                    Done.

                    http://www.coolbits.nu/685.aspx

                    --
                    Jim Hyslop
                    Senior Software Designer
                    Leitch Technology International Inc. ( http://www.leitch.com )
                    Columnist, C/C++ Users Journal ( http://www.cuj.com/experts )

                  • Tobias Mayer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005

                      --- David H. wrote:
                      Not to mention that this person should have done better research.
                      Scrum is a technical key term of rugby...

                      ---------------
                      It is interesting to know where the name Scrum originates from, but why do we feel that this name needs justification?  Personally I like the above definition, quoted by Deb.  It sounds close to truth.  Most software projects are confused, disordered and somewhat chaotic.  In an Agile project that is where the creativity comes from.  And the resultant order (i.e. the product) emerges from this chaos - precisely because Agile processes recognize it and work with it, instead of against it.

                      I also like that it "doesn't exactly make me want to embrace it for my development projects!".  Good!  No methodology should be taken on because of its name.  Death March paths are no doubt strewn with cool-sounding adjectives such as "rational" and "unified" and "requirements-driven".

                      Embrace "Scrum", in all its scrappy, scummy, crumby glory!

                      Tobias

                    • Mike Cohn
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
                        Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum: a silly name? In his annual April Fool’s Day column in Software Development magazine last year Scott Ambler predicted that in 10 years Ken would come to his senses and realize that naming a process after a little-known sports term was hampering adoption and that he’d rename the process “Cricket.”

                        -Mike

                        --- David H. wrote:
[...]

                         <mailto:tobias@...>

                        Yahoo! Groups Links