Scrum: a silly name?

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2005
      Seemingly, a question in search of an answer, below.
      Anyone?

      "Why did someone name an agile method "scrum"? From Dictionary.com:
      scrum: A disordered or confused situation involving
      a number of people.
      That doesn't exactly make me want to embrace it for my development
      projects!"

      http://www.coolbits.nu/685.aspx
    • Mike Cohn
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2005
        It comes from the original Takeuchi and Nonaka paper ("The New New Product
        Development Game" in Harvard Business Review in January 1986). The key quote
        is

        ³The Œrelay race¹ approach to product development may conflict with the
        goals of maximum speed and flexibility. Instead a holistic or Œrugby¹
        approach‹where a team tries to go the distance as a unit, passing the ball
        back and forth‹may better serve today¹s competitive requirements.²

        It's not an acronym although it was once used as such in the TV show "Mad
        About You." On that episode Barbara Feldon (of "Get Smart") was playing the
        fictional tv character "Spy Girl." Since every spy needs a nemesis, Spy
        Girl's was SCRUM--the Society for the Complete Ruination of Universal
        Mankind.

        Which, I think, sums up our true goal here.

        --Mike

        On 4/3/05 9:27 PM, "Deb" <deborah@...> wrote:

        > Seemingly, a question in search of an answer, below.
        > Anyone?
        >
        > "Why did someone name an agile method "scrum"? From Dictionary.com:
        > scrum: A disordered or confused situation involving
        > a number of people.
        > That doesn't exactly make me want to embrace it for my development
        > projects!"
        >
        > http://www.coolbits.nu/685.aspx

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David H.
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2005
          <snip>

          Not to mention that this person should have done better research.
          Scrum is a technical key term of rugby, see here:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28in_sports%29
        • Mike Beedle
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2005
            Don't you love the "Get Smart" definition of SCRUM? I am sure
            customers would be thrilled to find that definition somewhere in their
            invoices (not!).

            I guess that's why we do Scrum not SCRUM,

            - Mike

            It comes from the original Takeuchi and Nonaka paper ("The New New Product
            Development Game" in Harvard Business Review in January 1986). The key quote
            is

            ³The Œrelay race¹ approach to product development may conflict with the
            goals of maximum speed and flexibility. Instead a holistic or Œrugby¹
            approach‹where a team tries to go the distance as a unit, passing the ball
            back and forth‹may better serve today¹s competitive requirements.²

            It's not an acronym although it was once used as such in the TV show "Mad
            About You." On that episode Barbara Feldon (of "Get Smart") was playing the
            fictional tv character "Spy Girl." Since every spy needs a nemesis, Spy
            Girl's was SCRUM--the Society for the Complete Ruination of Universal
            Mankind.

            Which, I think, sums up our true goal here.

            --Mike

            On 4/3/05 9:27 PM, "Deb" <deborah@...> wrote:

            > Seemingly, a question in search of an answer, below.
            > Anyone?
            >
            > "Why did someone name an agile method "scrum"? From Dictionary.com:
            > scrum: A disordered or confused situation involving
            > a number of people.
            > That doesn't exactly make me want to embrace it for my development
            > projects!"
            >
            > http://www.coolbits.nu/685.aspx

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Diana Larsen
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
              Does this definition lead to comments on software projects, like, "Oh
              please Ms/Mr ScrumMaster, may I be the hooker in our Scrum?"

              Diana

              Diana Larsen
              www.futureworksconsulting.com 503-288-3550

              Upcoming Workshop:
              "The Secrets of Agile Teamwork: Beyond Technical Skills"
              Presenters: Diana Larsen and Esther Derby
              April 5-7, 2005

              On Apr 3, 2005, at 11:06 PM, David H. wrote:

              > <snip>
              >
              > Not to mention that this person should have done better research.
              > Scrum is a technical key term of rugby, see here:
              >
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28in_sports%29
            • Jim.Hyslop
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
                David H. wrote:
                > <snip>
                >
                > Not to mention that this person should have done better research.
                > Scrum is a technical key term of rugby, see here:
                >
                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28in_sports%29
                Indeed.

                I've posted a rebuttal on the Coolbits site:

                "I'd challenge the definition of "scrum" that dictionary.com uses. I have
                never heard that definition, nor have I ever heard the word scrum used to
                mean "a fight" - I think the other authors who were cited meant to use the
                word "scrap". I checked three different dictionaries (Oxford, Webster's and
                Gage), and each of them basically said the same thing: "scrum" is an
                abbreviation of "scrummage", a term used in Rugby to indicate a specific
                play."

                --
                Jim Hyslop
                Senior Software Designer
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
                  YOU BAD!!!!!!!!!
                  *^)

                  --
                  Mike Dwyer

                  "I Keep six faithful serving-men
                  Who serve me well and true:
                  Their names are What and Where and When
                  And How and Why and Who." - Kipling

                  > Does this definition lead to comments on software projects, like, "Oh
                  > please Ms/Mr ScrumMaster, may I be the hooker in our Scrum?"
                  >
                  > Diana
                  >
                  > Diana Larsen
                  > www.futureworksconsulting.com 503-288-3550
                  >
                  > Upcoming Workshop:
                  > "The Secrets of Agile Teamwork: Beyond Technical Skills"
                  > Presenters: Diana Larsen and Esther Derby
                  > April 5-7, 2005
                  >

                  > On Apr 3, 2005, at 11:06 PM, David H. wrote:
                  >

                  > > Not to mention that this person should have done better research.
                  > > Scrum is a technical key term of rugby, see here:
                  > >
                  > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28in_sports%29

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Deb
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
                    Mike's definition, below, is a good one. So, does someone want to
                    enlighten the readers of Coolbits as to why calling it Scrum makes
                    total sense?

                    deb
                    (not a Hooker)

                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cohn <mike@m...> wrote:
                    > It comes from the original Takeuchi and Nonaka paper ("The New New
                    Product
                    > Development Game" in Harvard Business Review in January 1986). The
                    key quote
                    > is
                    >
                    > ³The Œrelay race¹ approach to product development may conflict with the
                    > goals of maximum speed and flexibility. Instead a holistic or Œrugby¹
                    > approach‹where a team tries to go the distance as a unit, passing
                    the ball
                    > back and forth‹may better serve today¹s competitive requirements.²
                    >
                    > It's not an acronym although it was once used as such in the TV show
                    "Mad
                    > About You." On that episode Barbara Feldon (of "Get Smart") was
                    playing the
                    > fictional tv character "Spy Girl." Since every spy needs a nemesis, Spy
                    > Girl's was SCRUM--the Society for the Complete Ruination of Universal
                    > Mankind.
                    >
                    > Which, I think, sums up our true goal here.
                    >
                    > --Mike
                    >

                    > On 4/3/05 9:27 PM, "Deb" <deborah@h...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Seemingly, a question in search of an answer, below.
                    > > Anyone?
                    > >
                    > > "Why did someone name an agile method "scrum"? From Dictionary.com:
                    > > scrum: A disordered or confused situation involving
                    > > a number of people.
                    > > That doesn't exactly make me want to embrace it for my development
                    > > projects!"
                    > >
                    > > http://www.coolbits.nu/685.aspx

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Jim.Hyslop
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
                      Done.

                      http://www.coolbits.nu/685.aspx

                      --
                      Jim Hyslop
                      Senior Software Designer
                      Leitch Technology International Inc. ( http://www.leitch.com )
                      Columnist, C/C++ Users Journal ( http://www.cuj.com/experts )

                    • Tobias Mayer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005

                        --- David H. wrote:
                        Not to mention that this person should have done better research.
                        Scrum is a technical key term of rugby...

                        ---------------
                        It is interesting to know where the name Scrum originates from, but why do we feel that this name needs justification?  Personally I like the above definition, quoted by Deb.  It sounds close to truth.  Most software projects are confused, disordered and somewhat chaotic.  In an Agile project that is where the creativity comes from.  And the resultant order (i.e. the product) emerges from this chaos - precisely because Agile processes recognize it and work with it, instead of against it.

                        I also like that it "doesn't exactly make me want to embrace it for my development projects!".  Good!  No methodology should be taken on because of its name.  Death March paths are no doubt strewn with cool-sounding adjectives such as "rational" and "unified" and "requirements-driven".

                        Embrace "Scrum", in all its scrappy, scummy, crumby glory!

                        Tobias

                      • Mike Cohn
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
                          Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum: a silly name? In his annual April Fool’s Day column in Software Development magazine last year Scott Ambler predicted that in 10 years Ken would come to his senses and realize that naming a process after a little-known sports term was hampering adoption and that he’d rename the process “Cricket.”

                          -Mike

                          --- David H. wrote:
[...]

                           <mailto:tobias@...>

                          Yahoo! Groups Links