RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum pages

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 14, 2002
      I save the stories. I don't really understand why XP advocates ripping
      them up. I've been playing with writing test cases directly from the
      stories and then using those test cases as "requirements" for the
      system. I have been involved in too many systems that succeed and are
      successful for 5+ years and then need to be rewritten (usually for a
      technology reason and you can't refactor something that big very
      easily). I think the stories and their associated test cases (each test
      case described initially as one sentence) do a good job of capturing
      interesting and potentially useful information. Most projects won't ever
      need them again but the cost of retention is minimal.

      Yes, the numbers on the sprint backlog always reflect the most recent
      thinking about the tasks. I used to collect those numbers in our daily
      scrums and I didn't like how that was going--it made the meetings seem
      too much about updating me with status information rather than about
      making commitments in front of and to your teammates. Jeff Sutherland
      set me straight on that with an email about how he used Gnats to track
      tasks and developers just updated things there. Now our Daily Scrums are
      back to being the 3 standard questions and we never talk about hours at
      all. There are still sentences in these meetings like "I'll be done with
      the analysis module today and should be able to start on its UI" (which
      implies something about hours) and I'll still ask people about their gut
      feel for whether they think they'll finish everything in the sprint (it
      helps regain commitment and if we're going to miss I owe it to the
      Product Owner to tell her asap).

      --Mike